From: rav@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au (++           robin)
Subject: Re: Ariane 5 Failure - Summary Report
Date: 1996/07/25
Date: 1996-07-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

	Ken Garlington <garlingtonke@lmtas.lmco.com> writes:

	>Ken Garlington wrote: <nothing!>

	>Don't know what happened there, but I was just going to point out
	>that the Ariane 5 report is at:

	>  http://www.esrin.esa.it/htdocs/tidc/Press/Press96/press33.html

	>Be sure to read the full report, which is linked to this page. It
	>goes into some length about the sequence of events (which includes
	>an Ada exception I never heard of before, Operand Error?

---That's fixed-point overflow.  Converting a 64-bit
floating-point value to a 16 bit signed integer.
The conversion was unchecked (programming error--
the other conversions in the same module were
checked; the assumption was made that the value would
be within range); consequently the error condition was raised.
The exception-handling routine was to record the
status of the error and to then shut down the system.

	 Maybe it's user