* Re: ANNOUNCING THE CHAT LIST AT GNAT.COM FOR GNAT DISCUSSIONS
@ 1996-07-16  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-07-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Laurent correctly observed

>    subscribe name@gnat.com.

   Should be read as "subscribe your-email-address", or simply
"subscribe" if your mailer set properly your address. For more
information on the mailing list software, send a message with "help"
as subject to chat-request@gnat.com.

This reminds me of an old story about recruiting in one of the world wars.
There were big signs up on the wall showing how to fill out the enlistment
forms, which showed JOHN DOE written in on the name lines, and sure enough
nearly 15% of the forms handed in said JOHN DOE for the name :-)

Anyway, sorry about that error, thanks Laurent for catching it!

* Re: ANNOUNCING THE CHAT LIST AT GNAT.COM FOR GNAT DISCUSSIONS
       [not found] <dewar.837525997@schonberg>
@ 1996-07-16  0:00 ` Laurent Guerby
From: Laurent Guerby @ 1996-07-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

--
Laurent Guerby <guerby@gnat.com>, Team Ada.
   "Use the Source, Luke. The Source will be with you, always (GPL)."

* Re: ANNOUNCING THE CHAT LIST AT GNAT.COM FOR GNAT DISCUSSIONS
@ 1996-07-17  0:00     ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 1996-07-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar (dewar@cs.nyu.edu) wrote:
: This reminds me of an old story about recruiting in one of the world wars.
: There were big signs up on the wall showing how to fill out the enlistment
: forms, which showed JOHN DOE written in on the name lines, and sure enough
: nearly 15% of the forms handed in said JOHN DOE for the name :-)

the most intelligent ;-)

--
Peter Hermann  Tel:+49-711-685-3611 Fax:3758 ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
Pfaffenwaldring 27, 70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: ANNOUNCING THE CHAT LIST AT GNAT.COM FOR GNAT DISCUSSIONS
@ 1996-07-20  0:00     ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1996-07-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.837562404@schonberg>, Robert Dewar <dewar@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

>This reminds me of an old story about recruiting in one of the world wars.
>There were big signs up on the wall showing how to fill out the enlistment
>forms, which showed JOHN DOE written in on the name lines, and sure enough
>nearly 15% of the forms handed in said JOHN DOE for the name :-)

Actually, Robert, this happened quite a bit with gnatlist. The syntax
for a _listproc_ subscription request is

  subscribe list-name your-first-name your-last-name

A number of subscribers (not 15%, but at least half a dozen) wrote

  subscribe gnatlist your-first-name your-last-name

instead of plugging in their real names.

>Anyway, sorry about that error, thanks Laurent for catching it!

By the way - now that chat is up and running at gnat.com, I am trying to
close down gnatlist, which was always intended as a temporary list
until ACT was ready to operate one. If you are a gnatlist subscriber,
please unsubscribe and subscribe to the new list. I will, after a
couple more weeks, wave my wand and cause gnatlist to evaporate.

This reminds me to change the mailing list info in the ez2load README.:-)

Mike Feldman