* Introduction
@ 1996-07-16  0:00 The Quelisher
From: The Quelisher @ 1996-07-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to the group. I am a junior
in Computer Science at Florida State University and have taken a class on
Ada 95. I like the language and am looking forward to being able to use
it more. Hopefully I can get a lot of good info from the people in this
group.
That's all....just wanted to say hello and all.
--
#-----------------------------------------------------------------#
| _                                                   __    __    |

* newbie : gnat on Linux problem
@ 1996-07-17  0:00   ` lukas
From: lukas @ 1996-07-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am a quite new to Ada'95 , but very keen
on learning as much as possible. On the
Linux-distribution I use on my pc, gnat is
included. But trying to compile the included
example 'hello' program gives

linux> gnatmake hello

hellogcc -c hello.adb
gnatbind hello.ali
gnatbl hello.ali -linkonly
/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: warning: libpthreads.so.1, needed by
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2/libgnat.so, not found

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2/libgnat.so: undefined reference to
`pthread_create'

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2/libgnat.so: undefined reference to
`pthread_getspecific'

 .
 .
 .

gnatmake: *** link failed.

Help for pointing out what is needed to get gnat working
would be greatly appreciated

best regards

Lukas Severin
email  :  lukas@ituprag.fzk.de

* Re: Introduction
@ 1996-07-17  0:00 ` John Herro
From: John Herro @ 1996-07-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Quelisher <kendal@freenet.fsu.edu> writes:
>Just wanted to introduce myself... I like the language [Ada95]...
     A hearty WELCOME!!  You'll find most of the people here very helpful
and knowledgeable, and the "signal to noise ratio" (useful messages to
flames) in this group is much better than in many other newsgroups.
     I, too, am very enthusiastic about Ada, and feel strongly that it has
a much better design than other programming languages, such as C/C++.
     There are beginners here as well as veterans, and the FAQs are posted
monthly.  There's an Ada-95 tutorial at the Web site below my signature,
and another Ada-95 tutorial at
http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm.  WELCOME
ABOARD!
- John Herro
Software Innovations Technology
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor
ftp://members.aol.com/AdaTutor

* Re: newbie : gnat on Linux problem
@ 1996-07-18  0:00   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1996-07-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <31ECF93F.41C6@ituprag.fzk.de> lukas@ituprag.fzk.de writes:

[...]
> linux> gnatmake hello
[...]
> /usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: warning: libpthreads.so.1, needed by
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2/libgnat.so, not found

Perhaps you need to get the system to re-think the shared library data,
by using `ldconfig'.

--
Simon Wright                    Work Email: simon.j.wright@gecm.com
Ferranti Naval Systems                     Voice: +44(0)1705-701778

* Introduction
@ 2018-12-14 22:15 alexander
From: alexander @ 2018-12-14 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I must introduce myself.

A few months ago I got back into Ada. And I've got big plans. My logic won't allow me to speak of it, but the JD is telling me otherwise.

First and foremost, I am quite young in comparison to some of you. I'm 20; although I'd rather say I'm soon to be 21. In Sweden we get to start buying alcohol at the age of 20. Thank God. (To be fair, my mother usually has that handled for me.)

I've been programming for 11 years. The first seven years, I reinvented the wheel for the love of programming, over and over again, but from that time I only ever reinvented the wheel when it's a square. What I'm trying to say is that a lot of people here know a lot more about Ada than I do; I never went to school for this. When it comes to programming, I know as much about the advanced things as I do about the basic things. This community is what I hope will change that.

Ada is a beautiful language. Rather than writing a short story, you're writing a novel. And through writing a novel you're able to express yourself in various ways, without having to cut your journey short because of some God forsaken lava monster. Don't ask me about that. Tomorrow I won't remember a thing about it. I'm starting to run out of JD. Oh, wait, there's another flask right over there. It's possible I love Ada because it's different from anything I've seen before; I wasn't around for the development of the Pascal family. It's also possible, through Ada, I get to relive the days of old before I was born; a time I'd love to having experienced.

Don't you dare say she's just another crush. What do you want from me? Oh alright... I got her pregnant, so I don't have much of a choice in the matter.

I'm going to change the way people look at Ada. I'm going to make it big. "No, don't tell them that, drunk self." It's too late, backspace stopped working two paragraphs ago. I have young-person ideas that are going to change the way people look at Ada. I'm going to make it big. I'm going to make it each new developer's go-to language. And we're going to make any licensing you want completely free; even if that means having to rewrite the whole compiler from scratch.

We're going to change the world together. Let's make Ada ours. Let's make it the language people speak of next time someone makes a game as successful as Minecraft! Even though my drunken self is telling me to, I don't think I should start talking about my relationship with my father. I told you about the backspace thing. Besides, isn't everyone at least slightly inebriated on Friday evenings?

All people on here; young and old: I look up to you. But watch out, I am going to be the greatest Ada programmer one day, if I so have to wait for you to be dead for me to take your throne.

I'd love to have someone from here to talk back and fourth about our projects.

Best regards,

Your Drunken Friend

* Re: Introduction
@ 2018-12-14 23:50 ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2018-12-14 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Welcome to comp.lang.ada -- if you're interested in compilers, there's my Byron project which, God willing, I will be restarting soon. https://github.com/OneWingedShark/Byron

* Re: Introduction
@ 2018-12-15  0:59   ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2018-12-15  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 6:50:15 PM UTC-5, Shark8 wrote:
> Welcome to comp.lang.ada -- if you're interested in compilers, there's my Byron project which, God willing, I will be restarting soon. https://github.com/OneWingedShark/Byron

I just added Byron to awesome-ada because well even not finished the attempt at a compiler is always important work.

From your github, I see you have many Ada projects but it is not clear to me which are completed or only WIP. Could you make a pull request and add your stuff to awesome-ada?

Thx!

* Re: Introduction
@ 2018-12-15  9:23   ` alexander
From: alexander @ 2018-12-15  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Welcome to comp.lang.ada -- if you're interested in compilers, there's my Byron project which, God willing, I will be restarting soon. https://github.com/OneWingedShark/Byron

That looks really neat! It's a great idea. I'll be crossing my fingers you get the time and motivation to go go ahead and finish it.

Perhaps a community-driven Ada compiler written from scratch would be the only thing that would make no one doubt the licensing situation.

* Re: Introduction
@ 2018-12-16 18:35     ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2018-12-16 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 5:59:10 PM UTC-7, Olivier Henley wrote:
> On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 6:50:15 PM UTC-5, Shark8 wrote:
> > Welcome to comp.lang.ada -- if you're interested in compilers, there's my Byron project which, God willing, I will be restarting soon. https://github.com/OneWingedShark/Byron
>
> I just added Byron to awesome-ada because well even not finished the attempt at a compiler is always important work.
>
> From your github, I see you have many Ada projects but it is not clear to me which are completed or only WIP. Could you make a pull request and add your stuff to awesome-ada?
>
> Thx!

Some of them are hard to differentiate between WIP and completed -- the implementations of the Lisp and Forth interpreters, for example, are missing the special-forms and core-words, respectively, but clearly show the proof-of-concept as viable.

The Base_64 is complete, and provable, though could probably be simplified if the cited compiler-bugs have been fixed.

Others, like the WordPerfect file encoder/decoder are very much stalled-out, due to my inability to address dependencies (in the WP-case I need to have MS's OLE 2.0 file-format, and that was a little too much for me to take-on/implement at the time).

* Re: Introduction
@ 2018-12-16 18:37     ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2018-12-16 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 2:23:13 AM UTC-7, alex...@junivörs.com wrote:
> > Welcome to comp.lang.ada -- if you're interested in compilers, there's my Byron project which, God willing, I will be restarting soon. https://github.com/OneWingedShark/Byron
>
> That looks really neat! It's a great idea. I'll be crossing my fingers you get the time and motivation to go go ahead and finish it.

Thank you; I have a bit of free-time coming up in the interim betwixt Christmas and New Year, in that time I hope to [re]do the design documents and re-launch the project.

> Perhaps a community-driven Ada compiler written from scratch would be the only thing that would make no one doubt the licensing situation.

That would be one *BIG* advantage, I think.