From: cosc19z5@Bayou.UH.EDU (Spasmo)
Subject: Re: Gnat For use at Question
Date: 1996/07/15
Date: 1996-07-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Jon S Anthony (jsa@organon.com) wrote:
: In article <DuI8zM.BJ@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl> jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl (Jerry van Dijk) writes:

[Snip]

: > Now, I couldn't let that pass, could I ?
: >
: > The segment:offset adressing is something that belongs to the real-mode
: > domain. As djgpp (and thus GNAT/DOS) is a protected mode eviroment it
: > uses the full 32-bit physical addressing. (Physical := 16 * segment + offset).

: Sounds like what you are saying is that for the user model (of the
: language and implementation in this case) the segmenation stuff is
: hidden and thus irrelevant.  True?

Hmmmm, well my whole purpose for using an absolute address array was
to get at Screen Memory to do some enhanced IO since I couldn't find
any such thing in Gnat.  You know stuff like colored text, filling
various portions of the screen in color, etc... I might also have
tried my hand at poking into other keyboard addresses for some
better keyboard handling (if possible, last time I did anything
close I just wrote my own keyboard ISR and installed it in
place of the original and chained the original from there).
The reason that would have happened is because Get_Immediate
seems to wait for CR before processing, which for me isn't
what I want.

Of course there still is the PDCurses package I managed to leech
so I can go for interfacing with C code at this point.

Thanks for all the help.

: /Jon
: --
: Jon Anthony