From: mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: Building an Ada compiler
Date: 1996/07/07
Date: 1996-07-07T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <emery-0507962237090001@line290.nwm.mindlink.net>,
David Emery <emery@grebyn.com> wrote:

>I completely agree with RBKD on this one.  MPW seemed to take the worst
>of Unix.  If you know Unix, then MPW is horribly confusing.   THere's
>lots of incompatabilities with Unix, that seem to be there just for the
>dubious joy of doing things differently.  MPW lacked the consistency
>that is the hallmark of VMS and DCL, and lacked the "universality" and
>flexibility of Unix.  I tried it, and didn't like it.  (No jokes about
>inhaling, please :-)

Plus it's also a commercial system, albeit (currently) a bit cheaper than
MachTen.

>MachTen's ability to generate native Mac applications is a real plus, but
>I can't say that I've tried this yet.

We've had our first test of this in the last couple of days, producing
a couple of actual Mac apps, using the toolbox and all. These have been
tested on Macs (PPC only) with no sign of MachTen or GNAT installed.

Surf over to the GNAT-Mac web site to read about the whole setup.

http://gnat-mac.com/macada/

>Now, I wouldn't mind a full Ada95 Development Environment, as a native
>Mac application.

Maybe someone, someday, will see such a thing as a product with a
commercial future. Meanwhile, MachTen is a full development environment,
capable of producing real Mac apps.

>But, as an experienced Unix -AND- Mac user, the only
>problem I have with MachTen is that it's not free :-)   It's Tenon's
>business to decide how to sell their product, but I really believe that
>MachTen would go much further if it were cheaper...

I wouldn't rule out this happening.

Mike Feldman