From: johnherro@aol.com (John Herro)
Subject: Re: [Q] Ada.Text_IO.Is_Open query
Date: 1996/07/06
Date: 1996-07-06T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

john@assen.demon.co.uk (John McCabe) writes:
> If I have a string say "autoexec.bat", is there a function that
> will tell me if I have a file already open of that name ...
> effectively the opposite of what Ada.Text_IO.Is_Open does?
Dear John,
     I don't know of such a function, but I can suggest the following.
Instead of calling Ada.Text_IO.Create and Ada.Text_IO.Open directly, call
procedures that you write.  Your procedures should first store the file
name, say in a linked list of unbounded strings, and then call
Ada.Text_IO.Create or Ada.Text_IO.Open.  Then write a function to see if a
given string is in the linked list.  (You'll also need a procedure to call
in place of Ada.Text_IO.Close.  Your procedure should call
Ada.Text_IO.Name to get the file name, remove the string from the linked
list, and then call Ada.Text_IO.Close.)
     This isn't exactly what you asked for, but it doesn't sound like much
work.
     I know from reading c.l.a. that you're a very advanced Ada person, so
please forgive me if you thought of this already, and were asking only in
the hope of finding a simpler answer.
- John Herro
Software Innovations Technology
http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor