From: easter@rd.bbc.co.uk (Jim Easterbrook)
Subject: Re: GNAT: Storage size?
Date: 1996/07/05
Date: 1996-07-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <dewar.836481757@schonberg>, Robert Dewar (dewar@cs.nyu.edu) wrote:
: Joerg said
:
: "I am doing some matrix diagonalization using Ada-95 for the big frame of
: my programs and Fortran-77 for most of the matrix routines. Currently I am
: working under HP UX 9.05 (we're upgrading to 10.10 during the next months,
: I hope...). Since my matrices become quite large (at the moment 900x900
: fortran double precision) I encountered a problem with GNAT. I think there
: is a simple solution to the problem, but have no idea were to look for it:"
:
: Without the slightest idea of what you are doing in detail, neither do we
: (have any idea where to look for it). It's possible you are exceeding
: stack limits, but without sample source code it is impossible to guess
: what might be wrong. Try to narrow down a simple example of something
: that does not work, and send it along to report@gnat.com. This might
: be a  bug in GNAT, but I doubt it, it is unlikely that there is a bug
: selectively affecting large arrays, but anyway, without source, we cannot
: do anything more.

This sounds very like a problem I encountered when using GNAT for
picture processing programs on SunOS. I was getting segmentation
violation errors when processing large pictures. The cure was to set a
larger stack limit with "ulimit".
--
Jim Easterbrook                          <jim.easterbrook@rd.bbc.co.uk>
  Senior R & D Engineer, Studio Section     |         PGP key available