From: michael@ifr.luftfahrt.uni-stuttgart.de
Subject: Re: Ada95 Streams Question
Date: 1996/06/28
Date: 1996-06-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:
> [...]
>   All primitive data is converted to and from stream format using a simple
>   procedural interface (System.Stream_Attributes in files s-stratt.ad?) All
>   you need to do to get an architecture independent view of streams is to
>   replace this one unit (which has a very simple structure) with a different
>   one using, e.g. XDR, for data representation.

I already had a look at that and it indeed appears to be quite straight forward
to make the necessay changes. What I am not sure about is whether I can just
substitute s-stratt.adb with a new XDR version or whether I will have to rebuild
the compiler too. I just did not yet have the time to check that out (I admit
that a look into the makefile should make that clear).

>   We intend to provide an XDR replacement for s-stratt.ad? in the near
>   future with some kind of configuratoin pragma to select which one you
>   want.

Controlling the behaviour of the compiler with a configuration pragma is probably
the best solution for this problem.

>   Well distribution may be homogenous or heterogenous. The Ada model is
>   certainly aimed at homogenous distribution, but extends fine to the
>   hetergenous case (we first demonstrated hetergenous distribution using
>   this annex nearly two years ago at Tri-Ada, running on Sun's and SGI's)

That's interesting, because the current version of the distributed system
annex does not work at all on an SGI (at least not on my one). Although
it compiles and links out of the box I have not yet succeeded to get any
of the examples working. On the Sun these examples do work without problems
and so do my own ones.

--Dipl.-Ing. Michael Paus   (Member: Team Ada)
--University of Stuttgart, Inst. of Flight Mechanics and Flight Control
--Forststrasse 86, 70176 Stuttgart, Germany
--Phone: (+49) 711-121-1434  FAX: (+49) 711-634856
--Email: Michael.Paus@ifr.luftfahrt.uni-stuttgart.de (NeXT-Mail welcome)