* I Have a problem with GPS documentation generation
@ 2014-12-30  8:25 Hubert
From: Hubert @ 2014-12-30  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Generating documentation for my project doesn't quite work from GPS for
me. It is a library project. the documentation is generated for the top
level package that is exported from the library but not for the lower
level packages.
I remember there were problems with the previous version of GPS with the
xref generation, but I don't even see a menu item to generate xrefs
anymore, also I didn't get the errors that the xrefs are out of date.
Generation works fine, but there is only the toplevel package.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

---

* Re: I Have a problem with GPS documentation generation
@ 2014-12-30  9:09 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2014-12-30  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 00:25:37 -0800, Hubert wrote:

> Generating documentation for my project doesn't quite work from GPS for
> me.

Generated documentation is not documentation, IMO.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: I Have a problem with GPS documentation generation
@ 2014-12-30 10:41 ` Hubert
From: Hubert @ 2014-12-30 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I should add that I tried to refactor some identifiers and there I get
the error message that the cross reference information is not up to date
for some packages. So there must be a way to generate that, or maybe I
have to delete the old one manually? I seem to remember that there was a
problem with last year's GPS version and you had to delete something
manually?

---

* Re: I Have a problem with GPS documentation generation
@ 2014-12-30 10:48 ` Hubert
From: Hubert @ 2014-12-30 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, for the record: it seems you have to delete the .db file of the main
project, that generates the exe file, not just the one of the library
project that is subordinate. I did that and now the refactoring function
works, after I built the program.
Still, the documentation creation only generates the docu for the
toplevel library project :(

---

* Re: I Have a problem with GPS documentation generation
@ 2015-01-01 11:31   ` Blady
From: Blady @ 2015-01-01 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 30/12/2014 11:48, Hubert a écrit :
> Ok, for the record: it seems you have to delete the .db file of the main
> project, that generates the exe file, not just the one of the library
> project that is subordinate. I did that and now the refactoring function
> works, after I built the program.
> Still, the documentation creation only generates the docu for the
> toplevel library project :(

See GPS user guide: §11.5. Documentation Generation, the example is:
--  <description>
--    This is the main description for this package. It can contain a
complete
--    description with some xml characters as < or >.
--  </description>
--  <group>Group1</group>

and then a file groups.html is generated that you could advantageously
rename index.html.

Note: GPS GPL 2014 release lacks of script docgen_base_tags.py that
process those specific tags, you can take it for instance from GPS GPL
2013 and put it in ~/.gps/plug-ins.

HTH, Pascal.
http://blady.pagesperso-orange.fr

* Re: I Have a problem with GPS documentation generation
@ 2015-01-02 23:51   ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2015-01-02 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2014-12-30 09:09:51 +0000, Dmitry A. Kazakov said:

> On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 00:25:37 -0800, Hubert wrote:
>
>> Generating documentation for my project doesn't quite work from GPS for
>> me.
>
> Generated documentation is not documentation, IMO.

So do you have a prefererred documentation writing system?

- Gnu Texinfo

- Sphinx

* Re: I Have a problem with GPS documentation generation
@ 2015-01-03  2:19     ` Hubert
From: Hubert @ 2015-01-03  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok, thanks I try that. I really don't know why it doesn't create
documentation for the whole project, but if that helps its a workaround

---

* Re: I Have a problem with GPS documentation generation
@ 2015-01-03  6:54     ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2015-01-03  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 17:51:32 -0600, Robert Love wrote:

> On 2014-12-30 09:09:51 +0000, Dmitry A. Kazakov said:
>
>> On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 00:25:37 -0800, Hubert wrote:
>>
>>> Generating documentation for my project doesn't quite work from GPS for
>>> me.
>>
>> Generated documentation is not documentation, IMO.
>
> So do you have a prefererred documentation writing system?

I prefer human written documentation. [Anything that can be generated
should be done by the IDE on the fly]

> - Gnu Texinfo
> - Sphinx

HTML?

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: I Have a problem with GPS documentation generation
@ 2015-01-03 17:55       ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2015-01-03 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-01-03 06:54:38 +0000, Dmitry A. Kazakov said:

> On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 17:51:32 -0600, Robert Love wrote:

>>> Generated documentation is not documentation, IMO.
>>
>> So do you have a prefererred documentation writing system?
>
> I prefer human written documentation. [Anything that can be generated
> should be done by the IDE on the fly]

The two I mentioned are human written.  And they produce HTML output
among other formats.   If you go the official python documentation site
you can see Sphinx produced HTML.   I believe the Ada Core
documentation was written in Texinfo at one time.

>> - Gnu Texinfo
>> - Sphinx
>
> HTML?

Is anybody using org-mode for project documenation other than org-mode itself?

* Re: I Have a problem with GPS documentation generation
@ 2015-01-03 18:13         ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2015-01-03 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 11:55:19 -0600, Robert Love wrote:

> On 2015-01-03 06:54:38 +0000, Dmitry A. Kazakov said:

>>> So do you have a prefererred documentation writing system?
>>
>> I prefer human written documentation. [Anything that can be generated
>> should be done by the IDE on the fly]
>
> The two I mentioned are human written.  And they produce HTML output
> among other formats.   If you go the official python documentation site
> you can see Sphinx produced HTML.

I use FrontPage 2003.

>  I believe the Ada Core documentation was written in Texinfo at one time.

I don't know. At some point they seem switched documentation tools for
GtkAda documentation with a great quality loss.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov