From: "Kevin J. Weise" <kweise@c3i-ccmail.sed.redstone.army.mil>
Subject: Re: Newbie question (Range Specifiers)
Date: 1996/06/20
Date: 1996-06-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

"Sandeep V. Kharkar" <skharkar@vzcorp.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>	I've recently started studying the Ada95 language.
>	First experience with Ada...
>
>	In the book I found a grammer rule for range specifiers
>	which goes
>
>	range_spec ::= name ' range ( static_expression )
>
>	but I found no examples of the use of this grammer rule.
>
>	What is this syntax used for ??
>
>	I figure that the [name'range] means the range
>	of the variable name. But what interpretation does the
>	braketed static expression have on the range ??
>--

I've been in this business long enough that the region in my brain previously
occupied by the Ada83 LRM has been recovered and filled with application-specific
trivia; there isn't enough room left to memorize the Ada95 LRM.  But in a brief scan
of the Ada95 RM (principally in Annex P, the Syntax Summary and the Syntax Cross
Reference), I couldn't find the nonterminals or the production you specified above.
 Can you please come back with a specific reference (i.e., document, section, page
number, whatever) where you found this beastie?  I'd love to dig into it & find the
answer myself.

Kevin J. Weise          kweise@c3i-ccmail.sed.redstone.army.mil
COLSA Corporation       voice:  (205) 842-9680
Huntsville, AL

Serving the U.S. Army Missile Command, Software Engineering Directorate
standard disclaimers apply...