* Petri nets & Ada tasking (was: Re: Ada tasking issues)
@ 1996-06-18  0:00 Dirk Craeynest
From: Dirk Craeynest @ 1996-06-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some time ago, Ravi asked:
>"I've been looking at Ada95 lately. I'm trying to model the Ada95
> tasking constructs using petrinets. Could anyone let me know if
> there are any papers published already in this area."

and Robert Dewar replied:
>I don't have any references, but it's worthwhile to keep looking,
>I *know* that there was some work in the area of modeling Ada 83
>tasking with petrinets (might have been an Esprit project ???)

Several years ago, a joint project of Trasys Space and the Department of
Computer Science at the K.U.Leuven, both in Belgium, studied the use of
Petri nets for modelling dynamic characteristics in HOOD.  As HOOD is
very strongly Ada based, the following reference to a paper on this
research might be useful:

@INPROCEEDINGS{hood,
   author = "H. Van Beirendonck and J. Beaufays and S. Van Baelen
      and K. De Vlaminck",
   title = "Petri nets for modelling dynamic characteristics in {HOOD}",
   booktitle = "The Management of large software projects in
      the space industry",
   address = "Toulouse",
   publisher = "C\'{e}padu\`{e}s-\'{e}ditions",
   pages = "121--130",
   year = 1991,
   organization = "Centre national d'\'{e}tudes spatiales",
}

I hope this helps.

Dirk (Dirk.Craeynest@cs.kuleuven.ac.be for Ada-Belgium e-mail)

PS: You should also do a Web search on "Petri AND Ada": for example
Lycos seems to find some interesting leads (I didn't have time to pursue
this, though).

--
Dirk Craeynest |                         | Email: Dirk.Craeynest@
   OFFIS NV/SA | c/o Eurocontrol - CFMU  |        eurocontrol.be

* Re: Petri nets & Ada tasking (was: Re: Ada tasking issues)
@ 1996-06-19  0:00 ` Norman H. Cohen
From: Norman H. Cohen @ 1996-06-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4q5rdc$hr9@dolphin.pst.cfmu.eurocontrol.be>,
crt@cfmu.eurocontrol.be (Dirk Craeynest) writes:

|> Some time ago, Ravi asked:
|> >"I've been looking at Ada95 lately. I'm trying to model the Ada95
|> > tasking constructs using petrinets. Could anyone let me know if
|> > there are any papers published already in this area."
|>
|> and Robert Dewar replied:
|> >I don't have any references, but it's worthwhile to keep looking,
|> >I *know* that there was some work in the area of modeling Ada 83
|> >tasking with petrinets (might have been an Esprit project ???)

By fortuitous coincidence, I happen to have a paper on my desk right now
whose bibliography includes the following references:

   Mandrioli, D., Zicari, R., Ghezzi, C, and Tisato, F.  Modeling the
      Ada Task System by Petri Nets. Computer Languages 10 (1985)

   Murata, T., Shenkez, B, and Shatz, S.M.  Detection of Ada Static
      Deadlock Using Petri Net Invariants.   IEEE Transactions on
      Software Enginnering 15 (1989)

   Shatz, S.M., and Cheng, W.K.  A Petri Net Framework for Automated
      Static Analysis of Ada Tasking Behavior.  Journal of System
      Software 8 (1988)

   Stansifer, R., Beaven, M., and Marinescu, D.C.  Modeling Concurrent
      Programs with Colored Petri Nets.  Journal of System Software 26
      (1994)

Happy hunting.

--
Norman H. Cohen    ncohen@watson.ibm.com