* C40 Tartan Ada Compiler
@ 1996-06-14  0:00 daniel r montz
From: daniel r montz @ 1996-06-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

My project is just about to enter the coding phase using
the Tartan Ada compiler (v5.1) for the TI TMS320C40
processor.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom before
we begin?  Any comment is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan Montz (Dan-Montz@ti.com)

* Re: C40 Tartan Ada Compiler
@ 1996-06-15  0:00 ` Walter B. Hollman Sr.
From: Walter B. Hollman Sr. @ 1996-06-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 14, 1996 21:53:26 in article <C40 Tartan Ada Compiler>,
'montz@lesol1.dseg.ti.com (daniel r montz)' wrote:

>My project is just about to enter the coding phase using
>the Tartan Ada compiler (v5.1) for the TI TMS320C40
>processor.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom before
>we begin?  Any comment is appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Dan Montz (Dan-Montz@ti.com)
-- The Operating System should be processor dependent, not the Software!
        Examp: Software designed to run on MS Windows NT 3.4 will run on
any processor running NT 3.5.
Walter B. Hollman Sr

* Re: C40 Tartan Ada Compiler
@ 1996-06-17  0:00 ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 1996-06-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

daniel r montz wrote:

> My project is just about to enter the coding phase using
> the Tartan Ada compiler (v5.1) for the TI TMS320C40
> processor.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom before
> we begin?  Any comment is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan Montz (Dan-Montz@ti.com)

It's probably painfully obvious, but read the user guides. Tartan has
a section in the 5.x guides on writing efficient code that's worth a
look, in particular.

--
LMTAS - "Our Brand Means Quality"

* Re: C40 Tartan Ada Compiler
@ 1996-06-18  0:00 ` James A. Squire
From: James A. Squire @ 1996-06-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Walter B. Hollman Sr. wrote:

> On Jun 14, 1996 21:53:26 in article <C40 Tartan Ada Compiler>,
> 'montz@lesol1.dseg.ti.com (daniel r montz)' wrote:
>
> >My project is just about to enter the coding phase using
> >the Tartan Ada compiler (v5.1) for the TI TMS320C40
> >processor.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom before
> >we begin?  Any comment is appreciated.

> -- The Operating System should be processor dependent, not the Software!
>         Examp: Software designed to run on MS Windows NT 3.4 will run on
> any processor running NT 3.5.

I suspect you are confused.  The above mentioned Tartan Ada compiler
probably DOES run on several platforms.  When Daniel says it is for the
TI TMS320C40, he most likely means that this is a CROSS-compiler
targeted for that processor only.  In other words, the object code
generated by the Tartan Ada compiler will only run on that processor.

Just wanted to clear up that confusion.
--
James Squire
MDA Avionics Tools & Processes

* Re: C40 Tartan Ada Compiler
@ 1996-06-18  0:00   ` Cordes MJ
From: Cordes MJ @ 1996-06-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Garlington (garlingtonke@lmtas.lmco.com) wrote:
: daniel r montz wrote:
: >
: > My project is just about to enter the coding phase using
: > the Tartan Ada compiler (v5.1) for the TI TMS320C40
: > processor.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom before
: > we begin?  Any comment is appreciated.
: >
: > Thanks,
: > Dan Montz (Dan-Montz@ti.com)

: It's probably painfully obvious, but read the user guides. ...

Maybe TI didn't get the manuals when they bought the company ;)

What really surprises me is that Dan would go outside of TI to
get this information. I would assume that TI, even DSEG, would
be loaded with this info.

Michael J Cordes
Phone: (817) 935-3823
Fax:   (817) 935-3800