From: James E. Hopper <jhopper@erinet.com>
Subject: Re: Gnat 2.06 Ada95 (unix) File format????
Date: 1996/06/15
Date: 1996-06-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <m24todol3x.fsf@devo.ridgecrest.ca.us> Ronald Cole,
ronald@ridgecrest.ca.us writes:
>I often wonder why people want to use GNAT at all for anything
>serious...  After all, the current release will be an old, stale,
>dysfunctional piece of shit and completely disowned by Robert Dewar
>immediately after the next release!  (or so he keeps telling the bloke
>who keeps producing the Ada CD-ROM set a version or two behind...)

lets get real if he said that about 3.03 or 3.04 ok, but 2.06 is
something
like a year old!  its real simple actually i just take each release source
and build it for my mac.  i pulled down 3.05 source last tues i think and
had
3.05 running on my powermac the next day!  its really quite simple ;-)

Ok so it requires more knowledge than that but anyone can download the
binaries
for the supported architectures from the nyu ftp site.  i can't imagine
anyone
doing serious development without internet access. even on the mac
commercial compilers
like codewarrior or MPW without internet access you are dooming yourself
to running
versions with bugs etc that have long been fixed.

I suspect ACT's answer to people with support contracts is considerably
different than
people wanting free support for a compiler thats been long fixed.  its
one thing
to offer free support on something that only requires you to use whats on
your machine
its another thing again to ask for someone for free to dig up year old
archives and
help you debug your problem.

I have gotten much better support from ACT in our projects than i EVER
got from verdix/Rational
despite some truly monumental support payments!

jim