* Is the "Ada mandate" being reconsidered?
@ 1996-05-08  0:00 Howard Dodson
From: Howard Dodson @ 1996-05-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

At the Software Technology Conference held in Salt Lake City last month,
one of the speakers (Col. Chadwick, USMC) said that a committee was
being formed, including Dr. Barry Boehm, to consider whether Ada should
be a mandate for software development for the DoD, and that their
findings were due in October '96.

Does anyone know any more about this committee or have any background
as to what its charter is?  How do its findings affect whether future
DoD software projects must be developed in Ada?

Any information about this committee would be greatly appreciated.

Howard Dodson
Unisys Corporation
10843 Old Mill Road
Omaha, NE  68144

Telephone:  (402) 334-4080

* Is the "Ada mandate" being reconsidered?
@ 1996-06-14  0:00 Mark Bell
From: Mark Bell @ 1996-06-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

11-Jun-96 12:12	Michael Levasseur <levass@gdesystems.com> writes

>COTS - These movement to COTS hass been including move and
>more code that has been written in C++ as well 4GL stuff.

COTS may not be the panacea that everyone thinks it is.  There
are questions to consider with the COTS approach:

1.  What level of testing and verification was performed ?
    Is this information available to the user ?
2.  What kind of documentation is available ?  Do programmer
    reference manuals, API manuals, system manuals etc exist ?
    If they do, are they meaningful ?
3.  What kind of user support is available, and what is it's
    availability ?  24 Hour support ??
4.  Is the company going to be around in "N" years ?
5.  How long will the company support the COTS product ?
    Support costs money.
6.  Is the source code available ??  It's very frustrating to
    track a problem down to a COTS API call and not
    be able to proceed further !  If the source code is available,
    how long will it take to get it ?  I've experienced situations
    where a company has to "find it" !!

I'm not saying that COTS is categorically bad;  I'm saying that COTS
is not the end all solution to all our problems.

The allure of saving development time by purchasing COTS software
may be eaten up during integration time when it is discovered that
the software is not robust in your particular application because you
are exercising it in ways the designers did not envision or test for.

Manuals/documentation, while being delivered in nicely bound and
pretty books, may be verbose but don't say much.  A programmers
reference manual is great, but are example provided to give you
an idea of how to use all the software from a systems point of
view ??  Are system level issues dissucced anywhere (for example,
a manual that specifies the intended uses, and methods of use,
of the COTS software ) ??

How widely is the COTS software used currently ??  If it's new,
you can count on bugs.  If you find COTS bugs that are potential
show stoppers for you program, what is the COTS vendor going to
do about it ??  If you represent only a small percentage of the
COTS product user community, you may find that the vendor will
not do anything.  If the COTS software has been around for a few years,
and not used widely, what kind of support can be expected in the future
from the COTS vendor ??   Does a support group exists for the COTS
software ??

Mark S. Bell                           412-268-7925 (Voice)
Software Engineering Institute         412-268-5758 (Fax)
Carnegie Mellon University             ** These are my opinions,
4500 Fifth Ave, Pittsburgh PA.,15213      not those of the SEI or CMU **

From: Mark Bell @ 1996-06-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Kevin J. Weise" <kweise@c3i-ccmail.sed.redstone.army.mil> wrote:

>Those are all very good questions to ask; and all points are well taken.
>But it doesn't seem to help weed out one of the most insidious dodges to
>the use of Ada that I've seen, which is:

>While chasing project X, implement as much of the project according to
>req'ts as known at the time under the guise of IR&D, using language Y
>(or Y++). (After all, IR&D is not convered by *the Mandate*.)  Then,
>during the proposal, offer all this software as COTS!  You can probably
>say that it won't require more than 33% modification, too (to avoid
>having to convert it to Ada)!

I agree, but my post was primarily aimed at comapny X buying COTS from
company Y.  In my parlance, what you are refering to is NDI, since it's
within the same company.  Using NDI (my definition), you might stand
a better chance at mitigating the concerns in my previous post.

Your concerns about the 33% modification is along the same lines that
a previous post made about not using Ada because of memory and/or
timing considerations. If you really don't want to use Ada, you
can probably come up with analysis to prove your desired point, that
will stand up to the level of questioning to be had at a typical design
review.

Mark S. Bell                           412-268-7925 (Voice)
Software Engineering Institute         412-268-5758 (Fax)
Carnegie Mellon University             ** These are my opinions,
4500 Fifth Ave, Pittsburgh PA.,15213      not those of the SEI or CMU **

* Re: Is the "Ada mandate" being reconsidered?
@ 1996-06-17  0:00 Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93 @ 1996-06-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Robinson <robinson@GDESYSTEMS.COM> writes:
>And, *I thought*, that the DOD was required to use validated compilers.  But
>I could be wrong on that.  But *if it does*, then in order to sell to the DOD
>companies would need to be on the validation list.  Since the list is extremely
>small when compared to Ada 83 I use it as the measure of how far along the
>Ada 95 market is today.  One measure of how successful Ada 95 is will be how
>fast that list grows in the next 12 months as the gnat and AdaMagic based
>compilers start hitting the market.

    So far as I know, that requirement of using a validated compiler
    is still there. It's a shame that all the positive aspects of Ada
    83 and Ada 95 haven't managed to persuade more people to use the
    language and there still seems to be a need to "mandate" its use.

    I believe that the biggest problems have been marketing and
    perception. It may not be too late to correct some of the
    perceptions, but it will take lots of effort.

    I'd suggest that those of us who produce applications in Ada start
    putting advertising hype into our applications. What if every time
    someone started that clever app of yours a screen popped up with
    not only the copywrite notice, etc. but in bold letters with lots
    of slick graphics, something to the effect of:

        This application written in Ada95: "When you care enough to
            write the very best."

    or

        This application written in Ada95: "Good to the last drop."

    or

        This application written in Ada95: "Mess with the best, die
            like the rest!"

    Whatever. You get the picture. If every time you ran an extremely
    reliable application and you noticed it was implemented in Ada95,
    you might start getting the message. (Anyone care to start a
    contest for the best "Ada95 Inside" slogan? e-mail your entries to
    me and I'll consolidate them and rebroadcast.)

    I know I have little trouble spotting the C/C++ based apps -
    they're the ones that die with mysterious segmentation violations
    or memory access errors because of abused pointers or array
    accesses that aren't range limited.

    Wouldn't quality products clearly advertising their implementation
    do a lot to persuade people that Ada is a "real" language capable
    of "serious" development and thus be worthy of consideration?

    Pax,
    Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-96                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Fax:        407.796.4669
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600                  Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
    "This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously
    considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently
    of no value to us."

        --  Western Union internal memo, 1876.

* Re: Is the "Ada mandate" being reconsidered?
@ 1996-06-21  0:00 Bob Crispen
From: Bob Crispen @ 1996-06-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Gwinn <gwinn@RES.RAY.COM> sez:

>For large-scale use, only a few vendors survive, and consolidations will
>likely continue.  The Ada market is clearly shrinking.  I submit the only
>metric that counts is aggregate revenue to the Ada compiler and tool
>vendors, as the rate of further development of Ada depends on the size of
>their food supply.  I don't have the revenue figures, but I bet someone on
>this newsgroup does, and ask that the figures from 1983 to present be
>posted.

I believe you're suggesting that we measure precisely the wrong thing.
The existence of gnat (and the phenomenally good performance of gnat
at this point in its history) has changed the marketplace.

Today compiler vendors don't have to keep a huge staff of compiler
writers on the payroll.  That means that they can focus almost all their
manpower on product differentiation (e.g., GUI builders, bindings,
support for niche platforms) and on product support.

Thus, we could see fewer dollars changing hands, but still have a very
healthy Ada environment.

Gnat has also spawned a small horde of hobbyists who'll never pay a
cent for their gnat compilers, but who may one day become a truly
significant force for Ada.  Looking at the bucks ignores every single
one of these people.

Gross revenues, like lines of source code, are easy to measure.  But
that doesn't mean they're *worth* measuring.

Bob.Crispen@boeing.com
Speaking for myself, not my company

[parent not found: <nhd91w250f.fsf@paralysys>]