From: Dale Stanbrough <dale@goanna.cs.rmit.EDU.AU>
Subject: Re: ARIANE-5 Failure
Date: 1996/06/09
Date: 1996-06-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar writes:
"Sounds bogus, ultimately the code is maintained by humans, we do not yet
 have robots that can write and maintain code. Sure the code may be in
 some other language than Ada and then generate Ada (if the Ada is not
 maintained, but is just used as an intermediate language, it is
 essentially irrelevant that it is Ada). So the question is: what
 language WAS the software written in? And what is the argument that
 this code is easier to maintain than properly written Ada?"

I'm not sure this really answers Robert's questions. Nonetheless, here
they are...a few postings from previous years.

I think I may have displaced David Weller as the ultimate posting hoarder! :-).

Dale
From: berman@umbc.edu (Mike Berman)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Subject: DC-X use of Ada
Date: 15 Sep 1993 17:45:40 -0400

In its September 13 "Filter Center", Aviation Week and Space Technology
mentions that McDonnell Douglas developed software for guidance and
control of the DC-X Single-Stage-to_Orbit (SSTO) launch vehicle using
the MATRIXx toolset from Integrated Systems, Inc. Use of the tool saved
an estimated 50% of normal development costs and "produced very reliable
code". The article mentions that there are more than 30,000 lines of Ada
code, but does not say how much was hand crafted vs. tool generated.

A recent posting summarized the successful first flight of the DC-X test
vehicle. An Ada success story? Could be...

--
Mike Berman
University of Maryland, Baltimore County     Fastrak Training, Inc.

Also posted... (and note info on the "explosion" later on).

Dale
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Subject: DC-X Test Flight
Date: 8 Sep 1993 13:10:45 -0500

Several months ago, Jerry Pournelle started his User's Column in Byte
with a description of the DC-X and its software.  Jerry
added that he spoke with the lead of the software development team and
found that, for the first time in the team's experience, software came
in on time and schedule.  The software for DC-X (Douglas Clipper -
Experimental) was written in Ada using MatrixX.

More information on DC-X can be found in the August 30 issue of Time,
page 47.

Thought this group might be interested.

-- Rick Conn

The following is from the posting to sci.space.news on 8/28/93.