* C++/Ada or ObjectiveC/Ada translator
@ 1996-06-04  0:00 Hai Le
From: Hai Le @ 1996-06-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: hnle

I am looking for a tool that translates Ada codes into C++ or ObjectiveC
code, and vice versa.  (Objective-C is a C/c++ compiler in the NeXTSTEP
environment).  I would appreciate any information you have on this.
Thanks

Hai Le

* Re: C++/Ada or ObjectiveC/Ada translator
@ 1996-06-05  0:00 ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1996-06-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <31B480AC.16E4@cca.rockwell.com>,
Hai Le  <hnle@cca.rockwell.com> wrote:
>I am looking for a tool that translates Ada codes into C++ or ObjectiveC
>code, and vice versa.  (Objective-C is a C/c++ compiler in the NeXTSTEP
>environment).  I would appreciate any information you have on this.
>Thanks

This is a strange post.  First, Objective-C is _not_ a "C/c++ compiler
in the NeXTSTEP environment", it's a language unto itself (albeit a
derivative of C, but looks nothing like C++).

Second, a tool to translate from Ada 95 to C++ would take a herculean
effort, and the result, like the result of all translated code, would
be a horrible, unmaintainable mess.

As for the "vice versa" part, the "C to Ada" translator can be found
at http://www.inmet.com/~mg/c2ada/c2ada.html.  I'm working on a C++ to
Ada 95 translator myself, but it's low priority at the moment.

--
    Visit the Ada 95 Booch Components Homepage: www.ocsystems.com/booch
           This is not your father's Ada -- lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada

* Re: C++/Ada or ObjectiveC/Ada translator
@ 1996-06-11  0:00 ` michael
From: michael @ 1996-06-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hai Le <hnle@cca.rockwell.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a tool that translates Ada codes into C++ or ObjectiveC
> code, and vice versa.  (Objective-C is a C/c++ compiler in the NeXTSTEP
> environment).  I would appreciate any information you have on this.

I don't know what you are really looking for. If you just want an Ada
compiler that runs on NeXTSTEP and is compatibel with NeXTs Objective-C
compiler then just have a look at our ftp server and download the
gnat port for NeXT. It is no problem writing NeXT applications with
embedded Ada code, if that's what you have in mind.

Michael

ftp.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/programming/Ada/GNAT

--Dipl.-Ing. Michael Paus   (Member: Team Ada)
--University of Stuttgart, Inst. of Flight Mechanics and Flight Control
--Forststrasse 86, 70176 Stuttgart, Germany
--Phone: (+49) 711-121-1434  FAX: (+49) 711-634856
--Email: Michael.Paus@ifr.luftfahrt.uni-stuttgart.de (NeXT-Mail welcome)