* GNAT and Windows95: help needed.
@ 1996-06-03  0:00 Daniel Wengelin
From: Daniel Wengelin @ 1996-06-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, having found a "departemental PC" running Win95 at work,
I decided to have a go at getting GNAT to work. I obtained the
GNAT301A and installed it. It worked just fine, but as far as I
could tell could only use text-based IO in a DOS-window.

Hence,I obtained to sets of files, one being the Win32Ada
bindings to Win32 from LabTek. The other set of files is
what was called Win32Lib.

Now the problem starts.

Compiling is fine, but the linking phase seems to go astray,
with either undefined symbols or the same symbols in more than
one instance.

Here I will need some guidance.

1) There are ".LIB"-files in two several places.
   What are .LIB-files? How do they relate to object files?
   If .LIB-files are "bundles of object files", how do I
   tell what symbols are defined by one?

2) How do I know whether there is SDK installed? What IS SDK?

3) Supposing that I should be using the GNU linker "ld", how
   do I tell it where to look for object symbols? I tried the
   winlib.ld file, and it definitely seems to make a BIG
   difference. What files does ld look in to tell what
   object and library files it needs?

4) Supposing that the ".ld" files are what "ld" looks for, how do
   I now what ".LIB" and ".obj"-files should be present. There is
   a definite overlap between the GNAT installation and the files
   in the Win32Lib. There is even multiple occurences of several
   symbols WITHIN the Win32Lib.

5)  Supposing that I get the Win32Ada sample programs to work,
    what do I need to do to enable me to choose whether the
    application should be linked for a DOS-window text IO or a
   Win32 proper window? Is the switch "-mwindows" sufficient?

      Please respond to "Desperate"    ;-)

        Daniel

with Standard_Disclaimer; -- use Standard_Disclaimer;

* Re: GNAT and Windows95: help needed.
@ 1996-06-03  0:00 ` Theodore E. Dennison
From: Theodore E. Dennison @ 1996-06-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Wengelin wrote:

> Hello, having found a "departemental PC" running Win95 at work,
> I decided to have a go at getting GNAT to work. I obtained the
> GNAT301A and installed it. It worked just fine, but as far as I
> could tell could only use text-based IO in a DOS-window.
>
> 2) How do I know whether there is SDK installed? What IS SDK?

I believe that is the Microsoft Software Development Kit. Unless
you have installed Microsoft Visual C++, you probably don't have
it. Supposedly Labtek figures this out for you, so you shouldn't
have to worry about it.

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |

* Re: GNAT and Windows95: help needed.
@ 1996-06-03  0:00 ` Tom Griest
From: Tom Griest @ 1996-06-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: wengelin

wengelin@algonet.se (Daniel Wengelin) writes:

>Hello, having found a "departemental PC" running Win95 at work,
>I decided to have a go at getting GNAT to work. I obtained the
>GNAT301A and installed it. It worked just fine, but as far as I
>could tell could only use text-based IO in a DOS-window.
>
>Hence,I obtained to sets of files, one being the Win32Ada
>bindings to Win32 from LabTek. The other set of files is
>what was called Win32Lib.

What is "win32lib"?

>Now the problem starts.
>
>Compiling is fine, but the linking phase seems to go astray,
>with either undefined symbols or the same symbols in more than
>one instance.
>
>Here I will need some guidance.
>
>1) There are ".LIB"-files in two several places.
>   What are .LIB-files? How do they relate to object files?
>   If .LIB-files are "bundles of object files", how do I
>   tell what symbols are defined by one?

.lib files (and .a files) are library/archives, or as you
say, "bundles of object files".  The MS documentation describes
which library to use for each function.  (This documentation is
available in our CD-based Software Development Kits)

>2) How do I know whether there is SDK installed? What IS SDK?

SDK = Software Development Kit.  Look in the registry (regedit)
under hkey_current_user/software/microsoft to see if any SDK's
are installed.

>3) Supposing that I should be using the GNU linker "ld", how
>   do I tell it where to look for object symbols? I tried the
>   winlib.ld file, and it definitely seems to make a BIG
>   difference. What files does ld look in to tell what
>   object and library files it needs?

Indeed, 'ld' does use the various '.ld' files as linker scripts.
This is defined by the options you select and controlled by the
"specs" file in the gnu_ld subdirectory under the gnat directory.
Note that 'ld' is order sensitive, and therefore you must place
dependencies before the files that resolve those dependencies.

>4) Supposing that the ".ld" files are what "ld" looks for, how do
>   I now what ".LIB" and ".obj"-files should be present. There is
>   a definite overlap between the GNAT installation and the files
>   in the Win32Lib. There is even multiple occurences of several
>   symbols WITHIN the Win32Lib.

I can't answer without knowing what Win32Lib is.  Is it possible you
are referring to win32ada.lib?

>5)  Supposing that I get the Win32Ada sample programs to work,
>    what do I need to do to enable me to choose whether the
>    application should be linked for a DOS-window text IO or a
>   Win32 proper window? Is the switch "-mwindows" sufficient?

It is necessary, but obviously a "windows" application is quite
a bit different from a console application.  For example, Text_IO
will not work as expected in a Windows application.

-Tom