* GCC with G77 and GNAT: any successes
@ 1996-05-30  0:00 Michael Rohan
From: Michael Rohan @ 1996-05-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Folks,

I recently tried to compile G77 using my GCC V2.7.2 sources which had
already been modified to support GNAT under Linux.  I didn't get very
far and decided that they are probably not integrated at the moment (I'm
content to use f2c for Fortran).

I would, however, be interested to know if anyone has had any success in
getting GCC to support both Fortran and Ada along with C and C++, i.e.,
did I give up too easily.

Any info appreciately,
Michael.

--
Michael Rohan,                                     rohan@Silvaco.COM
Silvaco Data Systems Inc, Santa Clara, CA.         +1-408-654-4320

* Re: GCC with G77 and GNAT: any successes
@ 1996-06-01  0:00 ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1996-06-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4okovl$g8b@news.Silvaco.COM> rohan@Silvaco.COM (Michael Rohan) writes:
>I recently tried to compile G77 using my GCC V2.7.2 sources which had
>already been modified to support GNAT under Linux.  I didn't get very
>far and decided that they are probably not integrated at the moment (I'm
>content to use f2c for Fortran).
>
>I would, however, be interested to know if anyone has had any success in
>getting GCC to support both Fortran and Ada along with C and C++, i.e.,
>did I give up too easily.

There are a number of potential problems here.

First, you need to build the gcc driver program (built as xgcc) from
a directory that has all the relevant front-end sources (in this
case Fortran, C++, and Ada) as subdirectories.

Secondly, the last I heard, g77 was coming with a patch file to GCC.
Some of these patches may already be in the development GCC sources
and therefor could potentially duplicate GCC patches in the GNAT
sources.  Some of these patches have not been approved by me for the
GCC master sources precisely because they may conflict with other
languages, such as Ada or C++.  I'm trying to work with Craig Burley
to sort this out.

I'd suggest you write a message saying *precisely* what you are doing
(start with "I FTP'ed file FOO from site BAR, unpacked it and put into
directory XYZ") and precisely what doesn't work and send it to
report@gnat.com, bug-gcc@prep.ai.mit.edu, and whatever G77 bug
reporting address is given in the g77 documentation.  Please send one
message CC'ed to all three address.