* Any free Ada source code analyzer's avail. ?
@ 1996-05-28  0:00 Kevin
From: Kevin @ 1996-05-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for a "free" tool that will do some basic design analysis
on Ada source code.  In particular a tool that will do things like:

1.  count the number of types, objects, subprogram declarations, etc.
    in a compilation unit.
2. identify the number of simple types (Integer, Float) and
    complex types (record, array) in a compilation unit.
3. count the number of imported types, constants, subprograms
    actually used in a compilation unit.

UNIX based would be nice but PC based would be fine too.

Can anyone help?

kcronin@polaris.mmc.orl.com

* Re: Any free Ada source code analyzer's avail. ?
@ 1996-05-28  0:00 ` Michael F Brenner
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael F Brenner @ 1996-05-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Analysis tools that would really be cool are: (1) measures of cohesiveness
and modularity, and (2) hypertexting all occurences of objects together (e.g.,
variables to their references and procedures to their calls).

* Re: Any free Ada source code analyzer's avail. ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-05-28  0:00 ` andre_c_coulter
From: andre_c_coulter @ 1996-05-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kcronin

kevin Cronin wrote:

I'm looking for a "Free" tool that will do some basic design analysis:
1. count number of types
2. identify number of simple types
3. count the number of imported types used.

With the exception of possibly number 3, I have a tool that with some
small changes might meet your needs.  Currently the tool extracts this
information from source files and places the data in a database for
searches (ie. what is the type of variable a, what is the base type of
variable a if the type is not an Ada defined type)

The tool is not "Free", but I would be willing to provide you with a
no-cost license.

The current tool is available for the Vax/VMS and PC in DOS/Windows.

* Re: Any free Ada source code analyzer's avail. ?
@ 1996-05-28  0:00 ` andre_c_coulter
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: andre_c_coulter @ 1996-05-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kcronin

kevin Cronin wrote:

I'm looking for a "Free" tool that will do some basic design analysis:
1. count number of types
2. identify number of simple types
3. count the number of imported types used.

With the exception of possibly number 3, I have a tool that with some
small changes might meet your needs.  Currently the tool extracts this
information from source files and places the data in a database for
searches (ie. what is the type of variable a, what is the base type of
variable a if the type is not an Ada defined type)

The tool is not "Free", but I would be willing to provide you with a
no-cost license.

The current tool is available for the Vax/VMS and PC in DOS/Windows.

* Re: Any free Ada source code analyzer's avail. ?
@ 1996-05-28  0:00 ` andre_c_coulter
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: andre_c_coulter @ 1996-05-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1996-05-29  0:00   ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 1996-05-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael F Brenner wrote:

> Analysis tools that would really be cool are: (1) measures of cohesiveness
> and modularity, and (2) hypertexting all occurences of objects together (e.g.,
> variables to their references and procedures to their calls).

Well, you can certainly get these tools. Unfortunately, the ones I know about
aren't free :(

--
LMTAS - "Our Brand Means Quality"

* Re: Any free Ada source code analyzer's avail. ?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-05-29  0:00 ` Robert S. White
From: Robert S. White @ 1996-05-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4ofara$t68@theopolis.orl.mmc.com>, KevinJ.Cronin says...

>I'm looking for a "free" tool that will do some basic design analysis
>on Ada source code.  In particular a tool that will do things like:
>
>1.  count the number of types, objects, subprogram declarations, etc.
>    in a compilation unit.
>2. identify the number of simple types (Integer, Float) and
>    complex types (record, array) in a compilation unit.
>3. count the number of imported types, constants, subprograms
>    actually used in a compilation unit.
>
>UNIX based would be nice but PC based would be fine too.
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>kcronin@polaris.mmc.orl.com

  Not free, but the Ada Analyzer (LittleTree Consulting?) available from
Rational as a layered APEX product does exactly what you want.  Its even UNIX
based.

Robert S. White                    -- an embedded systems software engineer
WhiteR@CRPL.Cedar-Rapids.lib.IA.US -- It's long, but I pay for it!

* Re: Any free Ada source code analyzer's avail. ?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-05-30  0:00 ` Bob Kitzberger
From: Bob Kitzberger @ 1996-05-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You could build such a tool on top of ASIS without much difficulty.

(Not surprisingly, we also sell tools that do this kind of analysis...
email product_info@rational.com, ask for Ada Analyzer information)

:

Bob Kitzberger	      Rational Software Corporation       rlk@rational.com
http://www.rational.com http://www.rational.com/pst/products/testmate.html