From: Markus E Leypold <development-2006-8ecbb5cc8aREMOVETHIS@ANDTHATm-e-leypold.de>
Subject: Re: GNAT documentation in Debian
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:45:43 +0200
Date: 2007-04-10T17:45:43+02:00	[thread overview]

"Ludovic Brenta" <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> writes:

> Markus E Leypold writes:
>> And BTW: The separation into non-free and free is OK with me (I
>> basically support the policy behind that), but, your and the other
>> maintainers merits notwirthstanding, a "free" compiler, which
>> unfortunately comes without docs ("and we don't care for that") is a
>> bit of an imposition.
>
> The reason why it's not such a big deal is because the docs are online
> at http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/. Of course, having the docs on your
> system helps if you're offline.

Well -- I do hate products that are not self contained. The fact that
online source suddenly went dead in the past, might have contributed
to that, so I have to grab everything now (manually, instead of just
putting the debian CD on the shelf), to be able to work with it in the
years to come.

Furthermore, the idea with non-free is, that there is some kind of
dependency from other peoples whim or rights, that might make the
non-free thing/package go away in the future, become unusable (i.e. we
can't change it to reflect the real situation) and so on. So
documentation being in 'non-free' really says "there might not be
accurate documentation in future".

Regards -- Markus