From: rgilbert@unconfigured.xvnews.domain (Bob Gilbert)
Subject: Re: Configuration Management for Ada on Unix
Date: 1996/05/23
Date: 1996-05-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <4nvm27$e68@gde.GDEsystems.COM>, ellison@gde.GDEsystems.COM (David R. Ellison) writes:

> I am working on a project which has moved from VMS to Unix.  We
> are using the Thomson (Alsys) Ada compiler on HP-UX.  We are using
> the AdaMake tool that came with the compiler to determine compilation
> order and rebuild libraries.
>
> The compiler and AdaMake don't have any apparent way to access
> source code stored in configuration management files (such as
> SCCS or RCS).  Our project is large enough (more than one file
> and one programmer) such that CM is a necessity.  However the
> Thomson documentation doesn't seem to acknowledge that CM exists.
>
> If anyone knows how to apply CM while using Thomson Ada on Unix,
> please email me or post the information.  If there are other ways
> to apply CM to a Ada project on Unix, I would be interested even
> if it means giving up use of AdaMake.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave Ellison

I've got the very same desire, but using a Tartan comiler (Sun host,
C40 target).  I was spoiled on my first Ada project which used VAX Ada.
VAX Ada had a very nice feature which allowed you to specify that the
source code was in CMS (VAX version of SCCS) and a re-compile command
could be specified to search CMS to locate any updated versions of
the source and compile them while picking up all (but only) the
obsoleted units.

I've asked Tartan about offering this sort of feature, but they claimed
that it is not practical since they support a variety of host environments
(not all would provide SCCS) and they would not want to lock themselves
into any particular CM tool.

Our current method is to perform an SCCS get on all files and perform
total re-compile using a command file.  Not the most efficient, but safe.

-Bob