From: thedlund@dalnet.se (Thomas Hedlund)
Subject: Re: Ada 95 for the BeBox ?
Date: 1996/05/15
Date: 1996-05-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <319877A9.41C67EA6@escmail.orl.mmc.com>,
"Theodore E. Dennison" <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com> wrote:
>Thomas Hedlund wrote:
>>
>> Does annyone know if there exist an Ada 95 compiler for the
>> BeOS/BeBox. Or maybe if there are some planes, GNAT maybe ?

>That's a new one on me. FOLDOC doesn't even know what BeOS is ("The
>nearest terms alphabetically are Bend Over, Here It Comes Again and
>BER")
------8<-------
Well, Be Inc. is the company responsible for the name :-)
The Be Box is what this fairly new company has put together in the
last couple of years since it was founded by Jean-Louis Gassee, former
product chief at Apple. It's not an apple though. It could be descibed
as a mix of an SMP PC and a Next, only cheaper. The design can have
between 2 and 8 PowerPC's (the initial model has 2 PPC 603) and
besides that every thing that's used is standard PC components.
The mainboard has ISA/PCI-slots, IDE/SCSI-interface and PC keaboard
and mouse is used. The OS (BeOS) is said to be very good at
multi-tasking/threading and that it's a banger at real-time stuff,
even when loaded with heavy tasks. What I understand it's quite
Unix-like with a bash command shell and many GNU stuff  have been
ported by the company. The OS of course has a nice graphical GUI (not
X). I've heard that Linux is being ported right now.
All programming is done with C++ (bundled).
And now to the question if there are any rumours  about Ada for the
box . I'm not in any way speaking for Be, I don't even have the thing
yet. I'm ceriously thinking about getting one but I would not like
beeing stuck with a computer with only 1 language. I think Ada would
be a very good language for this OS. There have been questions about
Ada for BeOS in comp.sys.be but no answers.

--
Thomas Hedlund               | To Be or not to Be ...
<mailto:thedlund@dalnet.se>  | check: http://www.be.com