From: anon@anon.org (anon)
Subject: Re: History of Ada - was Interested about number crunching in Ada
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 07:13:04 GMT
Date: 2007-08-22T07:13:04+00:00	[thread overview]

Just for your information!  The information that I used came from a
Walnut Creek Ada CDROM, Nov 90 (Personal copy).  A copyrighted and
licensed CD by Walnut Creek CDROM.

The CD contain the NYU GNAT compile for DEC (pdp-11), DOS, OS2 ver
1.3 and pre 2.0.  For those who use Windows you had to use the DOS
shell in version 3.x and GNAT DOS version.  The CD also had the Ada
specs for Ada-78, Ada-80, Ada-83.

Note: The DOS (MSDOS or IBM DOS) version, allowed one to use the
"pragma NO_RUN_TIME ;" to create a bootable stand-alone Ada
program. But when Microsoft drop DOS so did GNAT drop its DOS
version, bassically making the pragma functionally obsolete.

But when Ada-95 came out Walnut altered the CDROM and removed
all binaries for Ada-83, replacing them with Ada-95 versions.  They
also altered the spec to include only the Ada 95 and Ada 83 version.

But if you look on ACM you can find references to Ada-80 and Ada-78.
And there are a few web pages on a number of US military web sites
that talking about Ada-78 and its creator DEC Ada Team.

Also, as most ITs will tell you all web sites can be attacked or Hacked
into.  Just like SCO was during the firstpart of it legal battle with IBM.
Also IT's can tell you there is no information on a web site that is
absolute safe from hacker either. So, how can one FULLLY TRUST what
is published on a web page if any good hacker can alter that web page.