From: dweller@dfw.net (David Weller)
Subject: Re: Help with Text_IO Instantiation!
Date: 1996/04/24
Date: 1996-04-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <4llqlg$i49@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
John Herro <johnherro@aol.com> wrote:
>rgelb@csulb.edu (Robert Gelb) wrote:
>> type string is array(integer range 1..10) of character;
>> type SaType is array(integer range <>) of string;
>> StrArray:SaType(1..5);
>> begin
>>    put(StrArray(1));.
>> What kind of Text_IO instatiation do I need to
>> make 'put(StrArray(1));' work?

[Good advice from John trimmed...]
>ever, want to define your own string type.  *Subtypes* of the built-in
>type String are perfectly OK, and, since subtypes do not create a new
>type, Ada.Text_IO works fine for them.
>     I hope this helps, and I hope it clears up more confusion than it
>causes!
>- John Herro
>Software Innovations Technology
>http://members.aol.com/AdaTutor
>ftp://members.aol.com/AdaTutor

What John means, of course, is that you want to probably do something
like this:
procedure sub is

   subtype Tiny_String is String(1..12);

   type Tiny_Array is array(integer range <>) of Tiny_String;

   TA : Tiny_Array(1..10);
begin
   TA(1) := "Ohmygoodness";
   put_Line(Ta(1));
end sub;

Note that you could not simply declare:
   type Tiny_Array is array(String) of Tiny_String;
Because String is an unconstrained array.

--
    Visit the Ada 95 Booch Components Homepage: www.ocsystems.com/booch
           This is not your father's Ada -- lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada