From: ron@cs.tamu.edu (Ron J Theriault)
Subject: Re: Ada Equivalent of "system()" in C?
Date: 1996/04/19
Date: 1996-04-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <emery-1604961854590001@line029.nwm.mindlink.net>, emery@grebyn.com (David Emery) writes:
|> In article <4l1dbi$pho@rational.rational.com>, rlk@rational.com (Bob
|> Kitzberger) wrote:
|>
|> > : I'm new to Ada programming, having come from a C background.  Is
|> > : there an equivalent in Ada of the "system()" function in C that
|> > : allows you execute an external program?
|> >
|> > Take a look at the Posix Ada bindings -- likely provided by
|> > your compiler vendor.  ...
|> > --
|> > Bob Kitzberger        Rational Software Corporation       rlk@rational.com
|>
|> The Unix function system() is not included in POSIX.1 or POSIX.5.  I
|> believe that it is included in the POSIX.1a revision that is still in
|> development....
|>             dave

Posix 1003.5 defines the Ada 83 to POSIX API interface.
One would use: Posix_Process_Primitives.Start_Process, and
then wait for it to finish.  The executable to start, would be
a shell of ones choosing, with the command string as an argument.

--
Ron Theriault              |
CS Department              |   In a democracy, you only have to fool