From: ron@cs.tamu.edu (Ron J Theriault)
Subject: Re: binding thickness indicator, was Re: GNAT, OS/2, Libraries
Date: 1996/04/19
Date: 1996-04-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <4kjaib$bhc@news2.delphi.com>, tmoran@bix.com writes:
|> I propose we use something analogous to house insulation 'R-values'
|> for indicating the thickness of a binding.  R1 would be the thinnest
|> possible, a la single pane window glass, like Tore's example of
|> interfacing to a C routine.  R50 would indicate such thickness and
|> insulation that, say, code using an R50 windowing GUI binding would be
|> portable across Mac, Windows, OS/2, and X-Windows.  R5 might be the
|> Ada flavor he mentions (type and range checked parameters, raise
|> exception instead of returning success/fail flag, etc) , but pretty
|> much still tied to the particular design, style, and widget offerings
|> of a particular system.  Clearly not an exact measurement, but
|> somewhat more specific than thick/thin.

You've been watching "This Old House" too long!  :-)

If a binding is portable across Macs, X-Windows, and others, just
what is it a binding to?  It would seem to be a binding
to a platform independent graphical toolkit of your invention.
--
Ron Theriault              |
CS Department              |   In a democracy, you only have to fool