From: bowmanc@ns1.sw-eng.falls-church.va.us (Carl Bowman)
Subject: Re: Just a question...
Date: 1996/04/17
Date: 1996-04-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <4l32nn$mqn@boson.epita.fr>,
patrick lacheny <lachen_p@photon.epita.fr> wrote:
>Thanks for ansering this question about Ada:
>
>" What are the 3 or 4 advices you would tell to a C programmer who
>  wants to use Ada ?"
>
>--
>|    Je ne savais pas que c'etait impossible quand je l'ai fait.  |
>|                                                                 |
>|  Patrick LACHENY         Email: Patrick.Lacheny@epita.fr        |

My first advice would be to stop thinking of oneself as a C programmer
and start thinking of oneself as a programmer currently using C! :)

This information is geared toward Mr. Lacheny and anyone else gettting
started in Ada.  I hope experienced readers will add to this
information.  A lot of this information is in the Ada FAQ.

There is a lot of online information about Ada.  I would aquaint
myself with all of the sources of Ada information possible.  The Ada
Information Clearinghouse maintains the Software Engineering host.
There are online tutorials and information, the Reference Manual and
Rationale, links to other online information, and a lot more.  The URL
is http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us.

I would acquaint myself with the Public Ada Library (PAL), a
repository of reusable Ada components and Ada information.  There you
can find examples of Ada code to help you get a quicker feel for how
problems are solved using Ada.  It is also avalable on various
CD-ROMs.  The URL is http://web.cnam.fr/Languages/Ada/PAL/.

GNAT is a free Ada 95 compiler available for many hardware platforms.
Both the PAL and the Software Engineering host have links for GNAT.

Carl Bowman
Ada Information Clearinghouse
adainfo@sw-eng.falls-church.va.us

Here's a flyer the AdaIC distributes:

Accessing Ada Information on the Internet

A wealth of Ada information and source code is accessible on the
electronic "information  superhighway".  The primary sources for
on-line Ada information are on various Internet Hosts located
throughout the world.  In addition, some institutions provide
dial-up access to Ada information via electronic bulletin boards.
This flyer points you to the Ada Information Clearinghouse's
(AdaIC) on-line sources for Ada information, which in turn will
provide pointers and links to other on-line Ada information
repositories. If the "information superhighway" is new to you,
don't hesitate to call the AdaIC at 1/800-AdaIC-11(232-4211) or
703/681-2466 for help in getting connected.

What's Available?

Ada Internet Host_sw-eng.falls-church.va.us.

The AdaIC provides the latest news about the Ada program as well
as copies of the Ada Language Reference Manual, Ada Rationale,
and documents to  help you in a transition to Ada.   More than
6,000  files, covering virtually every aspect of Ada programming,
are available on the AdaIC's Internet host: sw-eng.falls-
church.va.us.  If you are looking  for any of the following Ada
information, be sure to connect to the AdaIC host:

What's New with Ada:
Weekly news summaries, a quarterly newsletter, and hot off-the-
press announcements from commercial vendors and users

Current Ada Events:
Information about upcoming Ada conferences

Resources:
Information about freely available Ada resources,such as other
on-line sources for Ada source code and information, the Ada
trade association, and Ada professional societies Publications
Documents, reports, and bibliographies related to Ada, including
the Ada Standard, Ada Rationale, Ada Adoption Handbook, Ada Style
Guide

Compilers and Tools:
Pointers to FREE and commercially available Ada
compilers, tools, and development environments.

Validation and Evaluation Test Suites:
Everything you need to evaluate an Ada compiler for
your application or to learn about how to obtain
validated status for your compiler.

Education and Training Resources:
Pointers to Universities and commercial trainers
that offer Ada as well as Ada books, videotapes,
computer-aided instruction.

Policy and History:
The latest policies from the US Government related
to Ada usage as well as historical information
about the making of Ada

Ada Working Groups:
Reports, meeting minutes, and everything you need
to know about the technical working groups that
address Ada issues.

Getting Connected:
The Ada Internet host is available to all Internet users 24-hours
a day via the following utilities: anonymous file transfer
protocol (ftp):ftp sw-eng.falls-church.va.us

login: anonymous
password: <your email address>
ftpmail: Send Email to: ftpmail@sw-eng.falls-church.va.us with
the word "help" in the subject line to obtain complete
intructions

Gopher:  gopher sw-eng.falls-church.va.us
Wide Area Information Server (WAIS):  sw-eng.falls-church.va.us
World Wide Web (WWW):  http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/

The AdaIC's Internet host is sw-eng.falls-church.va.us; its IP
address is 199.75.54.2.  Direct any questions concerning access
to action@sw-eng.falls-church.va.us or to the AdaIC telephone
helpdesk staff at 1/800-AdaIC-11 (232-4211).

Getting Connected Without Internet Access:
Computer users who don't have Internet access may access Ada
information on the AdaIC Internet host via our bulletin board
system.  The phone number is: 703/681-2845.  Set your
communications parameters as follows:

Baud Rate:	300-28,800
Data bits:	8
Parity:	None
Stop Bits:	1
Flow Control:	XOn/XOff
Once a connection is achieved,
	login: guest
	password: Ada4sw-eng

Direct any questions concerning access to the AdaIC
telephone helpdesk staff at
1/800-AdaIC-11 (232-4211).
.

The views, opinions, and findings contained in this report are
those of the author(s) and should not be construed as an official
Agency position, policy, or decision, unless so designated by
other official documentation.

Copyright 1995.  IIT Research Institute.  All rights
assigned to the U.S. Government (Ada Joint Program Office).
Permission to reprint this flyer, in whole or in part, is
granted, provided the AdaIC is acknowledged as the source.
Ada Information Clearinghouse (AdaIC)
P.O. Box 1866
Falls Church, VA  22204
Telephone:  1-800-AdaIC-11 (1-800/232-4211) or
703/681-2466
Fax:  703/681-2869
E-mail:  adainfo@sw-eng.falls-church.va.us

The AdaIC is sponsored by the Ada Joint Program Office and
operated by IIT Research Institute.