From: labtek@cs.yale.edu (Tom Griest)
Cc: griest, 100121.1153@compuserve.com
Subject: Re: What is GNAT for Win 95
Date: 1996/04/11
Date: 1996-04-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Kees de Lezenne Coulande <100121.1153@COMPUSERVE.COM> writes:

>     I am trying to get a clear picture in my mind of the various
>versions of GNAT for the x86 PC systems. I have used both the DOS
>and OS/2 versions, and I think I have a good idea of what the
>various unix versions look like.
>     But I am still having trouble visualising the Windows 95 version.
>I more or less assumed that it would be similar to the OS/2 version,
>but then someone convinced me that Win 95 does not have a 32-bit
>command-line like OS/2 has.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a 32-bit command-line", but if you
mean that you can invoke 32-bit native programs from a "MS-DOS prompt"
console window, then you should go back to the person that convinced
you that you can't do this on Win95 and reverse their understanding.

>More recently, I saw references to DJGPP
>and GO32 in connection with Win 95 GNAT.

Where did you see this?  It is incorrect if it implies that you
use either GO32 or DJGPP for Win95.

>This would suggest it is
>more like basically the DOS version, with presumably bindings to the
>Win 95 GUI.
>     Could someone please set me straight on this ?

Under Win95 and WinNT (the exact same compiler/runtime is used for both)
you generate 32-bit applications with GNAT and the compiler runs as
a 32-bit native application.  No memory managers or DOS-extenders are
needed or used.  Every executable for GNAT/Win32 is 32-bit.

If this still doesn't clear up your question, send me email and I'll
try again.

-Tom
LabTek Corp.