* gdb and ADA95
@ 1996-04-11  0:00 Nicolas Gautier
From: Nicolas Gautier @ 1996-04-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have been trying to use gdb with gud and gnat compiler. gdb crashed when
I tryed to print the variable contents, and when stepping with the gud
interface. Does anybody know where these problems come from? And if
an interactive mode exists in gud to print variable contents?

* Re: gdb and ADA95
@ 1996-04-12  0:00 ` Nicolas Gautier
From: Nicolas Gautier @ 1996-04-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas Gautier <gtr> wrote:
>I have been trying to use gdb with gud and gnat compiler. gdb crashed when
>I tryed to print the variable contents, and when stepping with the gud
>interface. Does anybody know where these problems come from? And if
>an interactive mode exists in gud to print variable contents?

Sorry, but I had a problem with my e-mail address in my previous posting.
A few remarks : I work on a HP9000/715, with HP-UX 09.05.
I am using GNAT-3.01 and gdb-4.15.1.

* Re: gdb and ADA95
@ 1996-04-12  0:00 ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1996-04-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas> I have been trying to use gdb with gud and gnat compiler. gdb
Nicolas> crashed when I tryed to print the variable contents, and when
Nicolas> stepping with the gud interface. Does anybody know where
Nicolas> these problems come from? And if an interactive mode exists
Nicolas> in gud to print variable contents?

First please be kind enough to set your e-mail address in your
browser.

Second you haven't told anything about the version of GDB you use,
your operating system, your version of Emacs, ...

Everything works fine for me with:

  1) GDB 4.15.1.gnat.1.10
  2) Solaris 2.5
  3) XEmacs 19.13

There is of course an interactive mode in GUD, this is the debugger
window itself :)

 Sam
--
"La cervelle des petits enfants, ca doit avoir comme un petit gout de noisette"
                                                       Charles Baudelaire

* Re: gdb and ADA95
@ 1996-04-15  0:00   ` Jean-Marie Kubek
From: Jean-Marie Kubek @ 1996-04-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4klgci$403@ramses.eurocontrol.fr> Nicolas Gautier <Nicolas.Gautier@eurocontrol.fr> writes:

    Nicolas> Nicolas Gautier <gtr> wrote:
    >> I have been trying to use gdb with gud and gnat compiler. gdb
    >> crashed when I tryed to print the variable contents, and when
    >> stepping with the gud interface. Does anybody know where these
    >> problems come from? And if an interactive mode exists in gud to
    >> print variable contents?

    Nicolas> Sorry, but I had a problem with my e-mail address in my
    Nicolas> with HP-UX 09.05. I am using GNAT-3.01 and gdb-4.15.1.

Does your compiler use *gas* ? If not, beware that some
incompatibilities exists between the executable format for HP boxes and gdb.

As said in the Install notes for gcc on HPs, you *must* get the gnus
"binutils" distribution in order to use gas as the assembler program
called by gcc.

If you want to know if your gcc uses gas you have to try the following :
	gcc -v <some c file>
and then look for a line containing an "as" string in the output.

En hopant que ca helpe,
	Jean-Marie.

* Re: gdb and ADA95
@ 1996-04-15  0:00     ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1996-04-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <KUBEK.96Apr15191253@gmmhp1.gmm.insa-tlse.fr> kubek@gmmhp1.gmm.insa-tlse.fr (Jean-Marie Kubek) writes:
>If you want to know if your gcc uses gas you have to try the following :
>	gcc -v <some c file>
>and then look for a line containing an "as" string in the output.

That's not enough.  That tells you what "as" is being used, not
whether it is GNU "as" or the system "as".  If there is an absolute
filename, you should be able to tell by the directory.  If the
program is just called "as", do "which as" and see if that helps.

* Re: gdb and ADA95
@ 1996-04-16  0:00       ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 1996-04-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <4kuhe7$s27@news.nyu.edu> kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) writes:
> That's not enough.  That tells you what "as" is being used, not
> whether it is GNU "as" or the system "as".  If there is an absolute
> filename, you should be able to tell by the directory.  If the
> program is just called "as", do "which as" and see if that helps.

Once you find out which "as" is being used, you can try executing it with
the "--version" option.  If it's gas, it will tell you what version it
is; if not, it will probably complain about unrecognized options.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst@thomsoft.com <*>
TeleSoft^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Alsys^H^H^H^H^H Thomson Software Products