From: bhauer@stdntmail.lmu.edu (Brian Hauer)
Subject: Re: Ada95: The Real Job Market and College Life
Date: 1996/04/10
Date: 1996-04-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

KMays@msn.com (Kenneth Mays) wrote:

> I wonder how many people REALLY went to a professional seminar or
> college course that taught Ada95 or an advanced course in Ada95.
> Or are we just shooting horses until the validation is complete around
> 1997/1998 before we push Ada95 compilers and books into the hands of
> the innocent? (IMNSHO) Being an Ada83 guru doesn't automatically make
> you a Ada95 guru - everyone needs training wheels at sometime in their
> life.

Loyola Marymount University (Los Angeles, CA) is now instructing Ada95
in its CS courses.  I believe the change was implemented just this
semester as GNAT v3 is generally available on every platform used by
the students--myself included.

I have been very impressed with my university's use and instruction of
relatively modern technology.

Regarding Ada95, I have the following question to pose of everyone who
takes a highly philosophical stance on language construction.  It
involves Ada tasking, a subject we are currently discussing in the
course I am enrolled in.  I asked the professor this very question but
he was too hurried by the material to answer fully:

What is the rationale for a client task's limitation of either timed
entry calling or conditional entry calling?  That is,

select
  task_1.entry;
or delay 10.0;
end select;