* Translating Ada to C
@ 1996-04-03  0:00 Craig S. Dickson
From: Craig S. Dickson @ 1996-04-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

DOes anyone know where a translator may be located on the Net for downloading?
Otherwise I have access to gnatmake but I have no instructions on it. I think
it converts the Ada to C or something anyway. SO is it possible to get the c
code when you compile. ANy thoughts?

Thanks Craig

* Re: Translating Ada to C
@ 1996-04-03  0:00 ` Tore Joergensen
From: Tore Joergensen @ 1996-04-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Craig S. Dickson (dickson@ist.flinders.edu.au) wrote:
: DOes anyone know where a translator may be located on the Net for downloading?
: Otherwise I have access to gnatmake but I have no instructions on it. I think
: it converts the Ada to C or something anyway. SO is it possible to get the c
: code when you compile. ANy thoughts?

: Thanks Craig

GNAT does not convert Ada to C.

You will probably not find an Ada to C converter, partly because Ada is a
much more advanced language than C and partly because it is so much better
that nobody would ever want to convert Ada to C :-) :-) :-)

Ada does have nice support for using C-code from an Ada-program, so maybe
you don't even have to convert it to C? Why do you want to convert it?
--
+-------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
| Tore B. Joergensen      | e-mail : tore@lis.pitt.edu                |

* Re: Translating Ada to C
@ 1996-04-11  0:00 ` Joe Gwinn
From: Joe Gwinn @ 1996-04-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig S. Dickson

I guess I would always ask the target language folk how to translate
to their language.  The proponents of the to-be-translated-away-from
language will never see why you would do such a foolish thing as
leave.  Notice that nobody inquired as to why you wanted to translate.

I might add that it rarely makes economic sense to translate working
code into a new language, unless the old language can no longer be
supported, for whatever reason.

Joe Gwinn