From: a-cnadc@microsoft.com (Dann Corbit)
Subject: Re: C9X, Ada 9X to merge!
Date: 1996/04/02
Date: 1996-04-02T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <4jq8l3$c5f@solutions.solon.com>, seebs@solutions.solon.com says...

>In an unexpected move, the C and Ada standards committees decided today
>to open the 2nd quarter of '96 by committing to merging their language
>standards by Feb 30, 2000.  They will be striving to produce a language
>which retains as much as possible of the essential flavor of existing
>Ada and C implementations, while gaining all of the maintenance nightmares
>of both languages.
>
>Ken Thompson, creator of the C language, was seen going into his office,
>carrying an Ada reference manual, and an X-ACTO knife, muttering
>"and now the cleansing begins".
>
>Happy Holidays!

The new language will also have all of the best features of FORTRAN, COBOL,
ASSEMBLY, LISP, SMALLTALK, and ANSI SQL.  You'll be able to typecast with
the wild abandon of PL/1, while maintaining type-safe linkage.  The GOTO
instruction will be retained, but will always be well structured.  CPU level
instructions will be available for every architecture, but the new instructions
will be easily comprehensible.  All existing code bases from every major
language will continue to run without loss of performance.  Or so rumor has it.
--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation.