* "Ada as a second language" book
@ 1996-03-29  0:00 John Howard
From: John Howard @ 1996-03-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yesterday I got a copy of the book for $39.  I had ordered it three weeks
ago at a local Anderson's book store.  Last month the expected price was
$64.  Thanks for the bargain!

I am a Borland Pascal refugee and this is an excellent book:

 Cohen, Norman H.  Ada as a Second Language, 2nd ed.  McGraw-Hill,
   1996. 1133 pp. (ISBN: 0-07-011607-5)

   Encyclopedic in scope, this book covers all of Ada 95, including the
   predefined packages and the specialized-needs annexes.  Each chapter
   ends with a section addressed to users of Ada-83 compilers.
   Comparisons with C, C++, COBOL, Fortran, and Pascal avoid
   misconceptions about Ada and help readers recognize a new notation for
   a familiar concept.  Proceeding from introductory explanations of
   fundamental software-engineering and programming concepts to detailed
   and enlightening discussions of language features, and containing
   hundreds of complete examples, Ada as a Second Language serves as both
   a tutorial introduction and a complete reference to the Ada language.

-- John Howard <jhoward@sky.net>               -- Team Ada  Team OS/2 --
-- Free Ada 95 compilers at               ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/  --
Psalm 22:30-31

* Re: "Ada as a second language" book
@ 1996-03-30  0:00 ` Richard Pitre
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Pitre @ 1996-03-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.960329161832.10350A-100000@solar.sky.net> John Howard
<jhoward@solar.sky.net> writes:
> Yesterday I got a copy of the book for $39.  I had ordered it three weeks
> ago at a local Anderson's book store.  Last month the expected price was
> $64.  Thanks for the bargain!
>
> I am a Borland Pascal refugee and this is an excellent book:
>
>  Cohen, Norman H.  Ada as a Second Language, 2nd ed.  McGraw-Hill,
>    1996. 1133 pp. (ISBN: 0-07-011607-5)
>
>    Encyclopedic in scope, this book covers all of Ada 95, including the
>    predefined packages and the specialized-needs annexes.  Each chapter
>    ends with a section addressed to users of Ada-83 compilers.
>    Comparisons with C, C++, COBOL, Fortran, and Pascal avoid
>    misconceptions about Ada and help readers recognize a new notation for
>    a familiar concept.  Proceeding from introductory explanations of
>    fundamental software-engineering and programming concepts to detailed
>    and enlightening discussions of language features, and containing
>    hundreds of complete examples, Ada as a Second Language serves as both
>    a tutorial introduction and a complete reference to the Ada language.

I too purchased this book and I like it very much even though its fallen on
me a couple of times. I'm also looking at Booch's Ada book because
it has this nice graphical  representations. Anyone have any thoughts
on this book.

richard

* Re: "Ada as a second language" book
@ 1996-04-01  0:00   ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 1996-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Hoffmann (hoffmann@ehmgs1.et.tu-dresden.de) wrote:
: Has any of the german cla readers an idea where to get N. Cohen's book
: from in Germany for a reasonable price ? My local book dealer has
: tremendous additional fees for "express delivering" or such funny
: services.

my experiences: Stuttgart (Wittwer) DM78.-, Bremen DM92.-
That differs due to exchange rate.
I think it is a very good bargain, though.
Usually you have to pay DM150.- to DM200.- for comparable quality+quantity.

--
Peter Hermann  Tel:+49-711-685-3611 Fax:3758 ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
Pfaffenwaldring 27, 70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: "Ada as a second language" book
@ 1996-04-01  0:00 ` Pierre Schonbaum
From: Pierre Schonbaum @ 1996-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

   John Howard <jhoward@solar.sky.net> wrote:
>Yesterday I got a copy of the book for $39.  I had ordered it three
weeks
>ago at a local Anderson's book store.  Last month the expected
price was
>$64.  Thanks for the bargain!
>
>I am a Borland Pascal refugee and this is an excellent book:
>
> Cohen, Norman H.  Ada as a Second Language, 2nd ed.  McGraw-Hill,
>   1996. 1133 pp. (ISBN: 0-07-011607-5)
>
>   Encyclopedic in scope, this book covers all of Ada 95, including
the
>   predefined packages and the specialized-needs annexes.  Each
chapter
>   ends with a section addressed to users of Ada-83 compilers.
>   Comparisons with C, C++, COBOL, Fortran, and Pascal avoid
>   misconceptions about Ada and help readers recognize a new
notation for
>   a familiar concept.  Proceeding from introductory explanations
of
>   fundamental software-engineering and programming concepts to
detailed
>   and enlightening discussions of language features, and
containing
>   hundreds of complete examples, Ada as a Second Language serves
as both
>   a tutorial introduction and a complete reference to the Ada
language.

-----
>-- John Howard <jhoward@sky.net>               -- Team Ada  Team
OS/2 --
>-- Free Ada 95 compilers at
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/  --
-----
>Psalm 22:30-31

Would you post contact information for Anderson's?
The best price I've been quoted is $58.

* Re: "Ada as a second language" book
@ 1996-04-01  0:00 ` Thomas Hoffmann
From: Thomas Hoffmann @ 1996-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <828278634.7635@assen.demon.co.uk> john@assen.demon.co.uk (John McCabe) writes:
Has any of the german cla readers an idea where to get N. Cohen's book
from in Germany for a reasonable price ? My local book dealer has
tremendous additional fees for "express delivering" or such funny
services.

Thanks for any answers, Thomas.

Thomas Hoffmann                      E-mail: hoffmann@ehms1.et.tu-dresden.de
TU Dresden                           Phone : +49 351 463 5399
Institut fuer Halbleiter-            Fax:  : +49 351 463 7172
und Mikrosystemtechnik
01062 Dresden, Germany.

* Re: "Ada as a second language" book
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-04-02  0:00 ` Brian Hanson
From: Brian Hanson @ 1996-04-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I purchased this book two weeks ago at "Barnes and Nobles" book stores
for $35.00.  I was amazed when told of the price given the content
and snapped it up immediately.

This store is in Roseville Minnesota.
--
-- Brian Hanson
-- brh@cray.com

* Re: "Ada as a second language" book
@ 1996-04-03  0:00   ` John Howard
From: John Howard @ 1996-04-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Date of purchase: 03/28/96

Anderson Book Store
5429 Center Mall
Kansas City MO 64119
phone: 1+ (816) 4547677

Cohen, Norman H.
"Ada as a Second Language", 2nd edition. McGraw-Hill, 1996.  1133 pp.
ISBN: 0-07-011607-5

List price: $63.95

My cost was $37.95 + $2.47 (Missouri/local tax) = $40.42
Three weeks earlier, I had chosen the cheapest method for delivery to the
bookstore.  The book store might have made a mistake after the book
arrived.  The inside cover has a $46.25 written on it.  Before I accepted
delivery with payment, I asked them if they were sure their $37.95 price
was right.  Heck, I thought maybe it was the first edition or something
screwy.  I was expecting to pay near list price.  One of my nephews will
likely want a copy.  I hope the bargain pricing remains.