From: pitre@n5160d.nrl.navy.mil (Richard Pitre)
Subject: Re: Language Implementation Survey
Date: 1996/03/30
Date: 1996-03-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <315D7800.75F5@panix.com> Chris Trimble <trimble@panix.com> writes:
> Scott Leschke wrote:
> >
> > What is CL?  Never heard of it unless this is a consistent typo
> > of TCL which I found strangely absent.
>
>  It stands for Common Lisp ... clearly the most preferred language in
> the world (NOT!).
>
>  I've never seen a survey quite this skewed towards AI.  Common Lisp
> tops C++ and C?  Prolog beating Perl and Python AND Smalltalk?  Right.
> I have yet to meet a second person who uses Prolog daily (the first was
> an AI professor a while ago).
>
>  - Chris

Given the results I'm sure that there is one incredibly funny story
behind that survey. As far as Lisp and Prolog go I would say
stick around for a few decades. I believe that declarative languages
will have their day. Until then we're gonna try to encode
procedures that take us between every
possible pair of points in the conceptual universe. Someday there may be
an historical  perspective on our time that consists mostly of laughter.

richard