From: tmoran@bix.com
Subject: Re: Problem to dramatize packed-array/rep-clause difficulties
Date: 1996/03/28
Date: 1996-03-28T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In <dewar.828029845@schonberg> Robert Dewar said:
>It is *extremely* unlikely that any Ada compiler that *did*
>implement jamming of 9-bit packed arrays would to it this way.
  Frankly, I was surprised to hear you say that the LCM method would be
the most efficient on modern CPUs, but you're the compiler writer.  If
ACT doesn't find it worthwhile to support 9-bit packed arrays in any
way, least of all the LCM way, that's certainly their business decision
to make.  The originator of this thread might, or might not, be unhappy
if all compilers supported pragma pack, but in suboptimal ways.