From: Doug Rogers <rogers@innocon.com>
Subject: Re: Problem to dramatize packed-array/rep-clause difficulties
Date: 1996/03/27
Date: 1996-03-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

>  for High_Res_Data use record
>    a at 0 range 0 .. 8;
>    b at 1 range 1 .. 9;
>    c at 2 range 2 .. 10;
>    d at 3 range 3 .. 11;
>    e at 4 range 4 .. 12;
>    f at 5 range 5 .. 13;
>    g at 6 range 6 .. 14;
>    h at 7 range 7 .. 15;
>  end record;
>  for High_Res_Data'size use 72;

While I use this technique on small arrays, it's not easily
expanded to my real application, which has hundreds of these
items, each of which is a two-component record totalling 9 bits.
And I must handle other arrays (not the Ada keyword, 'cause I
wouldn't want to specify the solution instead of the problem,
huh, RD? ;-) of weird record sizes (homogeneous within the array).
As Robert Dewar pointed out in a private message, I didn't
specify this well enough.  If I must, I will employ this kind
of record on a grand (pardon the pun) scale, with "case"
statements everywhere, etc.  Not elegant, but it definitely
stays within the realm of Ada83.

Thanks for your input.

dr