* Problem with Win32Ada
@ 1996-03-27  0:00 Bobby Issazadhe
From: Bobby Issazadhe @ 1996-03-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am having some problems with the Win32Ada binding.  I am using GNAT
3.01a ( NT Workstation 4.0 Build 1234 ). When I run the install.bat I
get the following printout:

Building support libraries, takes several minutes . . .
Press any key to continue . . .
No code generated for file extensible.adb (generic unit)
No code generated for file win32-search.adb (generic unit)
Support libraries built.
Now four small Ada/Windows test programs will be
compiled, linked, and executed . . .
Press any key to continue . . .

So far so good but then the problems occur

C:\gnat301a\win32Ada\src\win32-assert.obj: In function
`_win32__assert__fail_assertion':
win32-assert.adb:41: undefined reference to `__assert'
The name specified is not recognized as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file.

and so on...

I am new to this environment so I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Bobby Issazadhe.
IFS R&D
e-mail: bois@gbg.ifsab.se

* Re: Problem with Win32Ada
@ 1996-03-29  0:00 ` Robert S. White
From: Robert S. White @ 1996-03-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4jc3oo$q5g@simba.lejonet.se>, bois@gbg.ifsab.se says...

>Hello,
>
>I am having some problems with the Win32Ada binding.  I am using GNAT
>3.01a ( NT Workstation 4.0 Build 1234 ). When I run the install.bat I
>get the following printout:
>
>Building support libraries, takes several minutes . . .
>Press any key to continue . . .
>No code generated for file extensible.adb (generic unit)
>No code generated for file win32-search.adb (generic unit)
>Support libraries built.
>Now four small Ada/Windows test programs will be
>compiled, linked, and executed . . .
>Press any key to continue . . .
>
>So far so good but then the problems occur
>
>C:\gnat301a\win32Ada\src\win32-assert.obj: In function
>`_win32__assert__fail_assertion':
>win32-assert.adb:41: undefined reference to `__assert'
>The name specified is not recognized as an internal or external
>command, operable program or batch file.
>
>and so on...
>
>I am new to this environment so I appreciate any help.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bobby Issazadhe.
>IFS R&D
>e-mail: bois@gbg.ifsab.se

  I get exactly the same error.  But I was too lazy to immediately report
it, besides I was tyring to see if I could solve the problem first.

  I was able to reduce the errors by trying various MSVCNT libraries in
libs.ld  such as \msvcnt\lib\msvcrt.lib, but still get a unresolved symbol
for __iob on the test_stdio test program.

  Note that we must report these type of problems to:

    report@gnat.com

and it also helps to report it to:

    labtek@yale.edu

  I put these sites on the CC list for this reply.
Robert S. White                    -- an embedded systems software engineer
WhiteR@CRPL.Cedar-Rapids.lib.IA.US -- It's long, but I pay for it!

* Re: Problem with Win32Ada
@ 1996-03-29  0:00   ` Bob Crispen
From: Bob Crispen @ 1996-03-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

WhiteR@CRPL.Cedar-Rapids.lib.IA.US (Robert S. White) wrote:

>In article <4jc3oo$q5g@simba.lejonet.se>, bois@gbg.ifsab.se says...

>>I am having some problems with the Win32Ada binding.  I am using GNAT
>>3.01a ( NT Workstation 4.0 Build 1234 ). When I run the install.bat I
>>get the following printout:
[snip]
>>C:\gnat301a\win32Ada\src\win32-assert.obj: In function
>>`_win32__assert__fail_assertion':
>>win32-assert.adb:41: undefined reference to `__assert'
>>The name specified is not recognized as an internal or external
>>command, operable program or batch file.
[snip]
>  I get exactly the same error.  But I was too lazy to immediately report
>it, besides I was tyring to see if I could solve the problem first.

>  I was able to reduce the errors by trying various MSVCNT libraries in
>libs.ld  such as \msvcnt\lib\msvcrt.lib, but still get a unresolved symbol
>for __iob on the test_stdio test program.

Ditto for me, except (you didn't note this, but I expect it works for
y'all, too) testexten.adb links and runs fine.  I tried putting
various libraries from Cygnus in the link path (e.g., libc.a), but so
far no joy.  I'm off to do some heavy reading of the documentation.

Since y'all probably noticed that Gnat 3.01 comes with simple.adb, the
Ada version of the WinAPI "hello, world", in its demos folder, and
since I can compile and link and run the C WinAPI "hello, world"
program with Cygnus GnuWin32, I expect I'm really, really close to the
solution, and I *don't* have to spend the money on the Microsoft SDK.

Anybody else out there working with Cygnus GnuWin32 who got Win32Ada
working?

Anyhow, off to the documentation I go.

Bob Crispen
crispen@hiwaay.net