* Re: Realtime Ada Conferences
@ 1996-03-27  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1996-03-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Is anything being done to allow Ada compiler vendors to
>produce compilers that have task context switch times
>in the 20 us range?  It seems that most compiler vendors
  I just ran two tasks, each containing
    for i in 1 .. 10000 loop delay 0.0;end loop;
  That presumably generated 20,000 context switches and it took
0.44 seconds on my Pentium 60, giving 22 mics/context switch.
Is that what you meant?

* Re: Realtime Ada Conferences
@ 1996-03-28  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1996-03-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Note that these context switch times are for simulated context switching
>(i.e. threads simulation), rather than for use of operating systems
<flame on>
  Is it just me, or does calling this a 'simulated context switch'
remind others of Orwellian language redefinition.  A 'context switch'
means a switch to a different Ada task.  If an implementation wants to
include switching OS threads, or rebooting to a different OS, or
switching to a different computer in orbit on the other side of the
globe, fine, but don't redefine that as a context switch and anything
else as 'simulated'.  Especially in a context discussing whether a
'context switch' takes more than 20 us in a language designed for
embedded systems.
<flame off>

* Realtime Ada Conferences
@ 1996-03-26  0:00 Jeff T. Stevenson
From: Jeff T. Stevenson @ 1996-03-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are any of the Ada conferences, e.g., Tri-Ada planning on
addressing the topic of realtime Ada applications this year?

It seems from previous trips to Tri-Ada that realtime issues
are not covered well.

Is anything being done to allow Ada compiler vendors to
produce compilers that have task context switch times
in the 20 us range?  It seems that most compiler vendors
are not able to comply with the Ada83 tasking model
and provide realtime context switching capabilities.

Ada 95 does not really solve the realtime problem because
vendors are not forced to deliver the Ada 95 realtime
extensions.

Where and when is Tri-Ada this year?  Does the agenda
get posted here?

Jeff Stevenson
jtstevenson@ccgate.hac.com