* Re: Looking for help finding code for sort program..
       [not found] ` <4idfcr$p1j@toads.pgh.pa.us>
@ 1996-03-19  0:00   ` Steve O'Shaughnessy
From: Steve O'Shaughnessy @ 1996-03-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4idfcr$p1j@toads.pgh.pa.us>, tore@lis.pitt.edu says...

>UNKNOWN (sorry@cant.tell.you) wrote:
>: I am looking for anyone that can point me in the direction of some
>: source code to a MergeSort program.  Or other types of sorting programs.
>: Does anyone know where I might find such code?????
>
>Since you are posting from Florida State University and want to be
>anonymous, I guess a good place to look is in your textbook.
>--

I am puzzled why everyone thinks it a sin to look outside of one's textbook for
an answer.  What is the basis that says software must totally eminate from the
mind of the programmer?

* Re: Looking for help finding code for sort program..
@ 1996-03-19  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-03-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"I am puzzled why everyone thinks it a sin to look outside of one's textbook for
an answer.  What is the basis that says software must totally eminate from the
mind of the programmer?"

When I assign a program as an excercise for a student to help them learn
how to program, I do not have in mind that they should completely the
assignment by persuading some kind but gullible soul on CLA to do the
work for them. Pretty clearly in this case, the poster seems to at
least have some concern that someone will think that a sin is involved,
since they posted anonymously.

The most helpful thing one can do in responding to such a request is to
give advice WITHOUT doing the student's work for them. THat way you
contribute to the learning rather than short circuiting it.

Of course there is value in students seeing good programs written by
others, but there is also value in students programming for themselves.

* Re: Looking for help finding code for sort program..
       [not found] ` <4i1mp9$sb7@garden.csc.calpoly.edu>
@ 1996-03-20  0:00   ` Paul Whittington
From: Paul Whittington @ 1996-03-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try the AdaSAGE ftp site at sageftp.inel.gov where you'll find

  pub/sage/cdrom002/source/spec42/sortmrg.ads

and

  pub/sage/cdrom002/source/spec42/sortmrg.adb

This seems to be accessible from a command line ftp session, but
doesn't seem to work from Netscape.

* Re: Looking for help finding code for sort program..
@ 1996-03-26  0:00     ` Jim Carr
From: Jim Carr @ 1996-03-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

tore@lis.pitt.edu says...
}

smosha@most.magec.com (Steve O'Shaughnessy) writes:

>I am puzzled why everyone thinks it a sin to look outside of one's textbook
>for an answer.

I never saw the original post (maybe it was canceled by the poster) but
it is a fact that the on-line assignments for Programming 1 (COP-2000)
at Florida State included a sort program due 12 March as well another
sorting assignment due this semester, all in Ada.

Futher, Baker makes it quite clear in his policy documents that programs
are to be a student's own work and outlines specific penalties for code
that has been "borrowed" from someone else, penalties that are not nearly
as strong as the university's policy on plagiarism.

I am sure Ted Baker would be unhappy if that request came from one
of the students in his class.

--
 James A. Carr   <jac@scri.fsu.edu>     |  My first naked-eye sighting of
    http://www.scri.fsu.edu/~jac/       |  Comet Hyakutake was overhead at