* Ada Training Fee Question
@ 1996-03-25  0:00 Vance Christiaanse
From: Vance Christiaanse @ 1996-03-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cintech

What is a reasonable price to pay for an Ada instructor to come
to a site and provide Ada training in this day and age?

Thank you in advance for answering; please indicate (if possible)
whether travel & living expenses were included in the prices you
quote, whether employment taxes were withheld, what materials
were supplied, and how the price varied with the number of
students.

Note:  I am not looking for a trainer right now, just information.

Vance Christiaanse
-- Not speaking for Lockheed Martin

* Re: Ada Training Fee Question
@ 1996-04-05  0:00 ` Brad Balfour
From: Brad Balfour @ 1996-04-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4j66bv$fmi@morgan.vf.mmc.com>, Vance Christiaanse <vance> wrote:

>What is a reasonable price to pay for an Ada instructor to come
>to a site and provide Ada training in this day and age?
>
>Thank you in advance for answering; please indicate (if possible)
>whether travel & living expenses were included in the prices you
>quote, whether employment taxes were withheld, what materials
>were supplied, and how the price varied with the number of
>students.

General ballpark for technical training in programming langauges
(including Ada) is around $2,000 per day for a hands on class at your
site. Prices do vary and some vendors target the low end and some the high
end. For example, a five day hands on class at your site may range from
$8,000 to $15,000. In some cases, the higher priced classes are worth it,
in some cases not. In some cases the lower priced classes are a bargin, in
other cases they are with what you paid for them.

Usually, most things are extra. Expect to pay separately for:
* instructor travel (usually coach airfaire)
* hotel & per diem (remember to include
  an extra day on one or both ends for travel)
* material (sometimes a flat fee, sometimes
  charged as $x / student)

Most classes held at your site are a flat fee with a maximum # of students
as a limit. This limit will range from 12-20 for hands on courses and
possibly no limit for "overview" type courses with no lab. This encourages
you to pack the class with as many people as you can.

For small groups of people, it is possible to send them to an open
enrolement class. In general, it is more cost effective to have the
instructor come to your site if you have 6 or more people to be trained.

You should not expect ot pay employment taxes as the instructor is *not*
an employee of your company. They are employed by their company, and you
are contracting with that vendor to provide a service.

Additionally, you should expect to book your class 1-2 months in advance.
While some instructors can accomodate a tighter schedule, choice of dates
will be limited. Also, if you are forced to change the date or canel the
class, some instructors will charge a cancelation fee and other will not.
You should discuss this policy with them in case things change at your
location.

The Ada Information Clearninghouse maintains a *very* comprehensive list
of vendors who provide Ada training. Check out their web site at
http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/ or call them at 1-800-AdaIC-11.
--
Brad Balfour                            SIGAda WWW Server
CACI, Inc.                                http://www.acm.org/sigada/