From: Alan Brain <aebrain@dynamite.com.au>
Subject: Re: Looking for Ada programmers
Date: 1996/03/25
Date: 1996-03-25T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

cjames@melchizedek.cec-services.com (The Right Reverend Colin James III) wrote with
deletions:

>vossj@apci.net (John L Voss) posted with deletions:

>| Harris Data Services Corporation is ... a CMM Level 3 organization that
>| is aggressively pursuing a CMM Level 4 rating.

>Nobody cares about CMM Levels ( -9 ... +9) anymore because SEI no
>longer is a major player in international software development.

>It is ISO9000 ratings that are magic in Europe, which in terms of
>software development sophistication is clearly far ahead of the US,
>still dinking around with unifying ambiguous methodologies, such as
>Booch, Jacobson, and Booch, from which designs output therefrom can
>not be verified correct by second-order predicate logic.

Jein.

CMM is very big in the States. Even now, level 3 going-on 4 is a good guide
to where the organisation is heading. IMHO - and very much IMHO - CMM is
suboptimal for assessing the Capability of a firm. It is, however, an excellent
checklist for Process Control on what you should be doing. I speak as someone
who was tasked with getting a major European Electronics Firm a level 3
certification (and succeeded).

Agree the ISO standard is/will be miles better for the purposes CMM was designed
for. Both the USA and Europe are heterogenous, with some areas very advanced,
other 'methodologically challenged', so generalisations are iffy. But you're
more right than wrong.

Disagree with your 'unifying ambiguous methodologies' bit. 2nd order predicate
logic sounds like a FOPA ( little mathematical pun there, sorry ). I'd appreciate
some enlightenment on this, as frankly, I didn't see the connection.

>| We're looking for individuals with experience in C++ and Ada.

>Strange, antithetical bedfellows.

Concur 100%.

>Colin James III, Principal Scientist  cjames@cec-services.com

Yup, CJIII can write reasonable material if he tries. I'm ignoring the
combative tone. But some points I... I... I AGREE with (There, I've said
it, and blown what little credibility I had left in taking anything he
says seriously.)