* Communicate with Serial Or Parallel Port with ADA!
@ 1996-03-20  0:00 Md. Mohsin Ali
From: Md. Mohsin Ali @ 1996-03-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

 I need some help about how to communicate with serial and/or parallel
 port using ADA. Reference to any book or sources would be very helpful.

 If anybody knows the code as an example would be great. External device
 could be anything, tape drive, a thermometer reading the temperature ...

 Thanks in advance.

 e-mail : mohsin@titan.fullerton.edu

* Re: Communicate with Serial Or Parallel Port with ADA!
@ 1996-03-21  0:00 ` Tom Griest
From: Tom Griest @ 1996-03-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Md. Mohsin Ali" <mohsin@titan.fullerton.edu> writes:

> I need some help about how to communicate with serial and/or parallel
> port using ADA. Reference to any book or sources would be very helpful.
>
> If anybody knows the code as an example would be great. External device
> could be anything, tape drive, a thermometer reading the temperature ...

Your flexibility makes it a little difficult to help you.  If you provide
more detail, it might be easier to get the answer you want.

For example:

  1) what is the application  (this will help decide if you should use
     a parallel or serial port)

  2) what platform (hardware/software) are you running on?

  3) do you require interrupts, or can you poll for input?

  4) which do you prefer, an Ada83 or Ada95 solution?

We have some sample code that uses a PC serial port, but it is
interrupt driven, and specific to a particular mouse, and has
some rocket-launch interlock code built in that makes it less
than general purpose.  If all you want is something to write to
a bare-PC parallel port, that is basically one or two lines of code.

-Tom

* Re: Communicate with Serial Or Parallel Port with ADA!
@ 1996-03-21  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 1996-03-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Md. Mohsin Ali wrote:

>  I need some help about how to communicate with serial and/or parallel
>  port using ADA. Reference to any book or sources would be very helpful.
              Ada?

I know how to communicate over the serial port in WindowsNT with the
Rational VADSself compiler.

Parallel port would be different...
Gnat Ada compiler would be different...
Windows or UNIX would be different...