* Re: Prediction: C++ vs. Ada
@ 1996-03-18  0:00 ` Eric B. Lemings
From: Eric B. Lemings @ 1996-03-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Flame Suppressent:

I'm not partial to either language.  That's just my objective opinion.

Eric Lemings

* Re: Prediction: C++ vs. Ada
@ 1996-03-18  0:00 ` RogerLC
From: RogerLC @ 1996-03-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reply to:

>> "Ada will increasingly challenge C++ as the industry's language of
choice."

>> Not because of the pros or cons of either language, but because of
Ada's
>> initiative in software reuse.  As the importance of software reuse
becomes
>> evident to all, developers will look towards the language that has the
most
>> activity in software reuse and the largest reuseable software base.

Although I am a C++ programmer, I am interested in anything that will
increase productivity, particularly reuse.  When I think of reuse, I think
of commercially or public domain available libraries.  I see many of these
for C & C++, but few for Ada.  Is this because I am looking in the wrong
place, because I am PC centered or because C++ has much more available in
this area and you are looking at other types of reuse (internal)?

I am interested in your views,

Thanks,  Roger Campbell

* Prediction: C++ vs. Ada
@ 1996-03-18  0:00 Eric B. Lemings
From: Eric B. Lemings @ 1996-03-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1996-03-19  0:00   ` Eric B. Lemings
From: Eric B. Lemings @ 1996-03-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

RogerLC (rogerlc@aol.com) wrote:

> >> "Ada will increasingly challenge C++ as the industry's language of
> >> choice."

> >> Not because of the pros or cons of either language, but because of
> >> Ada's initiative in software reuse.  As the importance of software
> >> reuse becomes evident to all, developers will look towards the language
> >> that has the most activity in software reuse and the largest reuseable
> >> software base.

> Although I am a C++ programmer, I am interested in anything that will
> increase productivity, particularly reuse.  When I think of reuse, I think
> of commercially or public domain available libraries.  I see many of these
> for C & C++, but few for Ada.  Is this because I am looking in the wrong
> place, because I am PC centered or because C++ has much more available in
> this area and you are looking at other types of reuse (internal)?

> I am interested in your views,

> Thanks,  Roger Campbell

The most active participants in software reuse fall into one of three
categories in the order of highest activity to lowest activity:
government (primarily defense), academic (universities and research
organizations), specialized software development companies, and lastly,
commercial "shrink-wrapped" software companies.

The reusable software mentioned above (commerical or publicly available,
C and C++ libraries) are usually domain-independent.  That is, this generic
software is easily reusuable in all projects.  Some, IHMO, believe this
to be the extent of software reuse.  Hardly so.  The "generic" domain is
only one of uncounted domains (defense, communication, medical, scientific,
financial, etc.) that are growing daily or haven't even began to grow yet.

Thus, the real promise of software reuse will extend from domain-specific
reusable software where dependable software is vital.  In these areas, Ada
has the lead, IMHO.

Eric Lemings

* Re: Prediction: C++ vs. Ada
@ 1996-03-21  0:00   ` Stephen Crawley
From: Stephen Crawley @ 1996-03-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4ijrcp$3bc@dazzle.east-tenn-st.edu>,
Eric B. Lemings <zebl1@bobcat.east-tenn-st.edu> wrote:
>Flame Suppressent:
>
>I'm not partial to either language.  That's just my objective opinion.

I think you mean SUBJECTIVE opinion.

You need a better flame suppresant than that :-)

-- Steve

* Re: Prediction: C++ vs. Ada
@ 1996-03-26  0:00 ` AdaWorks
From: AdaWorks @ 1996-03-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric B. Lemings (zebl1@bobcat.east-tenn-st.edu) wrote:
: "Ada will increasingly challenge C++ as the industry's language of choice."

: Not because of the pros or cons of either language, but because of Ada's
: initiative in software reuse.  As the importance of software reuse becomes
: evident to all, developers will look towards the language that has the most
: activity in software reuse and the largest reuseable software base.

  I have posted this before, but it might be useful to repeat it.

  One of the most important contributions of C++ will eventually be a
  greater appreciation for Ada, especially Ada 95. So far, in our Ada
  95 training, those students with a good background in C++ are the
  most amenable to Ada.

  On the other hand, in A C++ class for one of our Ada clients, those
  students with a good Ada background seemed to do best in learning C++.

  Richard Riehle
  adaworks@netcom.com

--

richard@adaworks.com