From: zebl1@bobcat.east-tenn-st.edu (Eric B. Lemings)
Subject: Re: Prediction: C++ vs. Ada
Date: 1996/03/19
Date: 1996-03-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

RogerLC (rogerlc@aol.com) wrote:

> >> "Ada will increasingly challenge C++ as the industry's language of
> >> choice."

> >> Not because of the pros or cons of either language, but because of
> >> Ada's initiative in software reuse.  As the importance of software
> >> reuse becomes evident to all, developers will look towards the language
> >> that has the most activity in software reuse and the largest reuseable
> >> software base.

> Although I am a C++ programmer, I am interested in anything that will
> increase productivity, particularly reuse.  When I think of reuse, I think
> of commercially or public domain available libraries.  I see many of these
> for C & C++, but few for Ada.  Is this because I am looking in the wrong
> place, because I am PC centered or because C++ has much more available in
> this area and you are looking at other types of reuse (internal)?

> I am interested in your views,

> Thanks,  Roger Campbell

The most active participants in software reuse fall into one of three
categories in the order of highest activity to lowest activity:
government (primarily defense), academic (universities and research
organizations), specialized software development companies, and lastly,
commercial "shrink-wrapped" software companies.

The reusable software mentioned above (commerical or publicly available,
C and C++ libraries) are usually domain-independent.  That is, this generic
software is easily reusuable in all projects.  Some, IHMO, believe this
to be the extent of software reuse.  Hardly so.  The "generic" domain is
only one of uncounted domains (defense, communication, medical, scientific,
financial, etc.) that are growing daily or haven't even began to grow yet.

Thus, the real promise of software reuse will extend from domain-specific
reusable software where dependable software is vital.  In these areas, Ada
has the lead, IMHO.

Eric Lemings