From: homeboy@nando.net ()
Subject: Re: Ada and Java
Date: 1996/03/19
Date: 1996-03-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Myron Brown (mbrown@olie.wvitcoe.wvnet.edu) wrote:
:   Hi.  I've worked with Ada, and I've worked with Java, but lately I've
: been hearing a lot of talk about generating Java byte codes with Ada.
: Could someone please tell me what sorts of projects this would be
: practical for?

[snip]

For in depth coverage of what Intermetrics, Inc is doing on this hit
http://www.inmet.com/java.html

Basically, Intermetrics is developing a compiler that will take Ada95 code
(excluding some features) and kick out the Java architecture neutral byte
codes.  What is this practical for?  Any application where you want to
compile your code once and then ship it to a multitude of architectures.
Also, these applications (written in your favorite language) could draw on
Java's toolkit/libraries which is part of each Java run-time system on
platforms that include Solaris, Mac OS, Windows 95, Linux, Silicon
Graphics OS, and possibly the following (the OS for the Be Box, OS/2, and
Windows 3.1 (according to IBM, not MicroSquish)).

I don't know of a killer app idea to use this Ada/Java relationship on
yet, but if I did, do you think I would broadcast it over the net _or_ try
to use that killer app idea to make $$$.

--
Charles A. Jaeger, B.S. CpE         c.jaeger@ieee.org
GTE Government Systems              http://www.elfwerks.com/~cjaeger