* Help with Translation, please!
@ 1996-02-26  0:00 Robert Gelb
From: Robert Gelb @ 1996-02-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am having a hell of a time translating a little recursive factorial
program from C to Ada.  Could some please help me.  Below is the C code
that needs to be translated to ADA

#include <stdio.h>
int factorial(int);

int main() {
	long f;
	int number;

	printf("\nPlease enter factorial number:");
	scanf("%d", &number);	/*get the factorial number*/
	f = factorial(number);  /*invoke factorial function*/
	printf ("Result: %ld", f);
	return 0;
}

int factorial(int n) {
	int ReturnValue;
	if (n > 1)
		ReturnValue = n * factorial(n-1);
	else
		ReturnValue = 1;

	return ReturnValue;
}

* Re: Help with Translation, please!
@ 1996-02-27  0:00 ` Pascal OBRY
From: Pascal OBRY @ 1996-02-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert,

I think you are kidding. There is nothing difficult in your example. Did you
try to learn Ada :-) What are your dead line for this project :-)

Pascal.
--

--|------------------------------------------------------------
--| Pascal OBRY                               Team-Ada Member |

* Re: Help with Translation, please!
       [not found] ` <4h2gu9$hp6@watnews1.watson.ibm.com>
@ 1996-03-15  0:00   ` Robert I. Eachus
From: Robert I. Eachus @ 1996-03-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4hvvm2$ird@ds8.scri.fsu.edu> jac@ds8.scri.fsu.edu (Jim Carr) writes:
   eachus@spectre.mitre.org (Robert I. Eachus) writes:

   >     ....       The same holds for factorials.  They can be generated
   >exactly in (small) constant time and space.  (Actually, if you are not
   >using floating point, the time is proportional to the square of the
   >length of the result...)

  > Make up your mind.  ;-)

  > Constant or square?  A loop is better than linear in the length.

    It depends on whether you use a computation model where arithmetic
operations require constant time or require time proportional to the
length of the operands.  In the case of factorial it matters.

  > And your comment about a sqrt based method, if one exists, seems
  > to ignore the extra time required -vs- multiplication.  Anyway,
  > my main application looks up log(n!) so its a moot point.

    Well since no one took the challenge, how about an extra hint.
The ONE square root you need is the square root of five..

--

					Robert I. Eachus

with Standard_Disclaimer;
use  Standard_Disclaimer;