From: tore@lis.pitt.edu (Tore Joergensen)
Subject: Re: ADA to C converter, the dream ?
Date: 1996/02/22
Date: 1996-02-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison (dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com) wrote:
: Rusty Baldwin wrote:
: > Why don't you use the gnat (Ada 95) compiler.  It is a front end to the
: > gcc compiler.  Perhaps there is a switch to generate C code??

: ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!

: (sigh)

: I feel the momentum for changing Gnat's name building...

It woudn't help anything to rename gnat. You would have to rename gcc, to
make people understand that the C-part is just a front end to the gcc, in
the same way that gnat is it. Wouldn't it be nice if it was called ggc
(gnu generic compiler) instead? That is probably close to impossible to
accomplish though. That would be like changing the B in IBM because not
all machines are used for business anymore, or change soft in Microsoft
because they sell some hardware too. Not very likely to happen.
--
| Tore B. Joergensen      | e-mail : tore@lis.pitt.edu                |