* Do you C my Ada? (or why C++ knocks the crap out of Ada rehashed)
@ 1996-02-17  0:00 Kenneth Mays
From: Kenneth Mays @ 1996-02-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

In actuality, many of the best programmers don't REALLY know C++ or C
(they learn the alphabet). You become fluent with the basic
communication skills to get a finished product. Ponder this: many
people speak the English language but do they really know English?
Also, which english are we talking about (American/British/Hacked).
Crack open a Webster dictionary and/or an encyclopedia to see what
you don't know!! You are always learning something new, and you are
limited by what the language designer gave us. English is a mixture
of many languages. But, this is another subject.

Ada95 is like the english language. Its the glue of many ideas boiled
in a pot. You can learn Ada!!! But its like learning any human
language, you can't expect to know Spanish in a day or 21 days
(smile). You learn by a building block method (or main
body/subroutine method). Its not so much the language, its how it is
taught in many books. Compare some of the best books on teaching you
how to program in C/C++. Honestly, many of these books follow each
other's style. You have the great book that teachs you C, then the
one that teachs you C++, and then the combined C/C++ books. If you
want a great teaching book on Ada, then you look at the C books and
follow the lead. When I took English, I was told that in order to
write a famous poem or story, you have to read famous novels and
poems. So, look at Howard Sams, Sybex, and Addison-Wesley books since
they are all used for Basic/C/Pascal. You are not going to learn Ada
overnite, but with a good book in your hand you might do well within
a month or two.

C++ is a nice language, but I am always learning something new. Game
programming seems to be a learning experience (always a new algorithm
to play with). Honestly, C/C++ have enjoyed the luxury of being fed
ample C/C++ books. Ada books do exist, but they are not on every
bookstore shelf. I can't go to Waldenbooks and pick up a copy of
"Mastering Ada95 in 21-days" or "Tricks of the Ada95 gurus". So you
will have a big problem if you don't have a personal reference
library on the programming language.

Ponder this: Why was there a problem with the Boeing 777
avionics/flight software that was written in Ada? There are a few
articles on this subject. Matter of fact, do your homework on
everyone using Ada95. Ask the experts at Carnegie-Mellon/SEI/ACM
SigAda on supplying CDROMs on proven Ada source code for teaching the
language. Hey, find a good Ada compiler that supports MFC or OWL
(haha). but for now, just read the article on Boeing's use of Ada
software.

Ken Mays (maysk@wg53.eglin.af.mil)
"We don't see the world as it is, but who we are."

* Re: Do you C my Ada? (or why C++ knocks the crap out of Ada rehashed)
@ 1996-02-19  0:00 ` Nasser Abbasi
From: Nasser Abbasi @ 1996-02-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <00001a73+000027fe@msn.com>, KMays@msn.com (Kenneth Mays) says:

>Ponder this: Why was there a problem with the Boeing 777
>avionics/flight software that was written in Ada? There are a few
>articles on this subject.

My limited readings on the Ada/Boeing 777 project is that using Ada
was considered a good choice and a success for that project.

So, what problem do you refer to? just curiuos...

thanks.
Nasser