* Re: ADA Compiler ? ADA Book ?
       [not found] ` <4fihe6$9so@news00.btx.dtag.de>
@ 1996-02-18  0:00   ` Umar M Badeges
From: Umar M Badeges @ 1996-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have the same need, and I am sure we are not the only people with this need.

It is the matter of waiting for the right person to answer.  My e-mail address is ubadeges@mason.gmu.edu

Thanks.

Umar M. Badeges

* Re: ADA Compiler ? ADA Book ?
@ 1996-02-18  0:00     ` Kenneth Mays
From: Kenneth Mays @ 1996-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

The best book I know of is the book by John Barnes
called "Programming in Ada" (C)1996 from Addison-Wesley. (aka J.G.P Barnes)

There are a lot of books on Ada so you must specify Ada83 or Ada95.

Also, there are a lot of compilers for Ada83 and Ada95.
The commercial ones ARE available, but I think the lowest I saw one
for was $495. I picked Visual Ada95 for the project I'm working on
($695) but it is in Beta stages.

You can obtain IntegrAda, Visual Ada95 or Alsys compilers on
http://www.pcada.com (starting point).

There is also the GNAT V3.05 (NYU) front-end compiler.
The books DO exist and so do the compilers, just that many are not
well known or EXPENSIVE!

Ken Mays

* Re: ADA Compiler ? ADA Book ?
@ 1996-02-18  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Dewar @ 1996-02-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Mays said

"Also, there are a lot of compilers for Ada83 and Ada95.
The commercial ones ARE available, but I think the lowest I saw one
for was $495. I picked Visual Ada95 for the project I'm working on
($695) but it is in Beta stages.

You can obtain IntegrAda, Visual Ada95 or Alsys compilers on
http://www.pcada.com (starting point).

There is also the GNAT V3.05 (NYU) front-end compiler.
The books DO exist and so do the compilers, just that many are not
well known or EXPENSIVE!"

Well that's a lot of misinformation in a single message!

First there are several commercial Ada compilers for much less than $495.
In particular Thompson markets an Ada 83 compiler for windows for less
than $100, and will soon have an Ada 95 version. RR also has inexpensive
compilers available.

Second, the current version of GNAT is 3.01, soon to be replaced by 3.03
(3.02 was an internal release only). You will have a bit of a wait for
3.05!!  Also this is not a "front-end" compiler whatever the heck that
means, it is a full blown Ada 95 compiler available for many different
targets including seven different operating systems on the PC. Also,
although it was developed at NYU, there is no longer any connection
with NYU.

There are many Ada textbooks both for Ada 83 and Ada 95, and they are not
"EXPENSIVE", but rather priced at typical market prices. You should consult
the FAQ for this group for more information.

* Re: ADA Compiler ? ADA Book ?
@ 1996-02-19  0:00       ` Hugh Murphy
From: Hugh Murphy @ 1996-02-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: KMays, dbusch

You might try Meridian Software Systems, 10 Pasteur Street,
Irvine, CA 92718 Phone: 714-727-0700 Fax: 714-727-3583. I purchased
their Ada compiler about 4 years ago for around $300. I believe at
the time they were selling Ada compilers for both Macs and PCs.
Hope this helps.

Hugh Murphy

* Re: ADA Compiler ? ADA Book ?
@ 1996-02-19  0:00       ` Jack Beidler
From: Jack Beidler @ 1996-02-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kenneth Mays wrote:

> The best book I know of is the book by John Barnes
> called "Programming in Ada" (C)1996 from Addison-Wesley. (aka J.G.P Barnes)

I'd like to put my two cents worth in favor of the Cohen book,
"Ada as a second Language" from McGraw-Hill.  In my opinion this
is the best non-language lawyer reference to Ada (83 or 95) around

--  << stuff deleted >>

> There is also the GNAT V3.05 (NYU) front-end compiler.
> The books DO exist and so do the compilers, just that many are not
> well known or EXPENSIVE!

Yeh, the price of the GNAT compiler is truely outrageous. (:-)

--
John (Jack) Beidler, Prof. of Computer Science,
 Dept. of Computing Sciences, University of Scranton, Scranton, PA 18510

* Re: ADA Compiler ? ADA Book ?
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1996-02-22  0:00       ` Paul Whittington
From: Paul Whittington @ 1996-02-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I'm not mistaken, Intermetrics has been funded by the AJPO to
produce a combo book and compiler that is to sell for around $70 USD.
The project should be winding up in the next few months if my
information on this is accurate.  If memory serves, the compiler is
based on Intermetrics new Ada 95 front end technology and Thompson's
back end technology.  Also I think Mike Feldmen is writing the book.

KMays@msn.com (Kenneth Mays) wrote:

>The best book I know of is the book by John Barnes
>called "Programming in Ada" (C)1996 from Addison-Wesley. (aka J.G.P Barnes)

>There are a lot of books on Ada so you must specify Ada83 or Ada95.

>Also, there are a lot of compilers for Ada83 and Ada95.
>The commercial ones ARE available, but I think the lowest I saw one
>for was $495. I picked Visual Ada95 for the project I'm working on
>($695) but it is in Beta stages.

>You can obtain IntegrAda, Visual Ada95 or Alsys compilers on
>http://www.pcada.com (starting point).

>There is also the GNAT V3.05 (NYU) front-end compiler.
>The books DO exist and so do the compilers, just that many are not
>well known or EXPENSIVE!

>Ken Mays

* Re: ADA Compiler ? ADA Book ?
@ 1996-02-26  0:00         ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1996-02-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a simple introduction to Ada available at...

	http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/~dale/ada/aln.html

It covers a large number of topics, but is still
not exhaustive in it's coverage.

Dale