From: dweller@dfw.net (David Weller)
Subject: Re: DRAGOON and Ada95 meet Java
Date: 1996/02/18
Date: 1996-02-18T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <00001a73+0000284b@msn.com>, Kenneth Mays <KMays@msn.com> wrote:
>Hi again,
>
>I read some notes that DRAGOON was going to become an integral part
>of Ada95. Some programmers are also looking into integrating Java
>interfaces from Ada95. Supposedly, Java is an advancement from C++
>but resembles Ada95. Any wanting to comment their expertise on
>DRAGOON on Java with the use of Ada95?

Hmm, I thought the only two people that used DRAGOON were Colin
Atkinson and I*  :-)  It's certainly a dead issue, since DRAGOON has
been largely unsupported for a few years.  In any case, the issue of
"behavioural inheritance" is a sticky one, and has not appeared in any
current languages, including Java and Ada 95 (the feature of
"behavioural inheritance", the ability to inherit concurrency
behaviours at the leaf of an inheritance tree, is probably the one
"significant" issue of DRAGOON that is not supported in Ada 95).
Having said all that, I'm not entirely convinced it has a meaningful
place in modern languages (that's a pretty pathetic postiion
considering I've done research work on the very subject :-)

*Colin Atkinson was the creator of DRAGOON; he was also my advisor at
my last university.
--
		    GNAT = GNAT is Not an Ada Translator
==Ada 95 Booch Components: www.ocsystems.com/booch or www.dfw.net/~dweller==